Chapter 4 - Shotgun

Start from the beginning

Rico is pissed.

Everyone was quiet. Thank God for Rico. He's the big brother to all of us. He was the one that saved Cody from getting beaten by two grade eight boys when we were in grade six. Rico had to repeat the grade and ended up in our classroom. He and Cody became fast friends after Rico sided with Cody against the two boys.

I lean against the window, smiling at the power that Rico has over Cody. Cody witnessed Rico pounding those two boys and never crosses Rico, knowing that Rico can do the same to him.

"I'm sorry Nicole," I heard Cody say in a surrendering tone, "I just don't want you getting hurt by that asshole. He won't make you happy."

"That's my discussion." Nicole says.

"So make the right decision." Cody fires back.

Cody's right. Gavin isn't good for Nicole. Her parents are enough, telling Nicole what to eat, what subjects to take at school, where to go and who to be friends with. Her parents don't like Cody or his parents. His family is broken, I heard them say this to Nicole once.

Nicole was the last one to join our group. She came to our school in grade seven. She was a 'straight as an arrow' kinda gal. She really doesn't take shit, even though she seems like she would.

Gavin moved to our neighborhood, I believe in grade nine, except, he went to a private school in the city. Once Nicole's parents heard that, they became fast friends with his parents, and since then the poison had set in. Nicole's life was kidnapped and controlled by her parents.

"Sorry Chris. I was trying to help you." Cody says.

"Cody-man, sometimes helping is saying nothing." I heard Chris say.

I hear Cody shuffling around, "Yeah, I know, but life is shot my friends. I just wanted to get everything off my chest."

"Life's not that short, Cody, that you need to say EVERYTHING!" Chris adds.

Suddenly the Jeep starts to vibrate and make noises outside. "Oh Shit." Rico says in frustration.

I hold on to the door, "Rico what's happening!" I yell.

"Sounds like a flat tire!" Rico says upset. He pulls the Jeep to the side of the road and jumps out of the car fast.

Chris and Cody jump out too.

The three guys look down at the front drivers wheel. Cody grabs his head, as Rico is talking.

"Hey Nicole. Are you OK?" I ask as I turn to face her. I see her wiping her eyes, "Oh My God, Nicole," I turn around on my seat to face Nicole, " don't listen to Cody, he's a jerk sometimes." I grab Nicole's hand.

"It's not Cody. I'm used to him." Nicole says in a quiet voice, " Gavin and I got into a fight before he left on his trip."

I can't say I'm sad about that but obviously Nicole is. "I'm sorry to hear, Nikkers. What was the fight about?' I ask.

Nicole looks at me, taking a deep breath, "he was to move across the country to go to university together. I mean it has the programs he wants, but I didn't want to move so far from my parents and you guys. Plus the universities that offer my programs are here.

"You know Nicole, I know you're tired of hearing it and in the end it really is your fission, but... are you sure Gavin is the one for you?" I asked as sensitive as i could. Really I would agree with Cody and say, fuck Gavin and go with Chris, but, best friends can only push so far.

Nicole takes a deep breath, " I don't know. I mean when I told him that I was going to Cody's cottage, he freaked out that I was with you guys."

I look at Nicole, "So it's him or us?" I said. Nicole nods as her eyes start to fill with water. I hate that Nicole puts herself in this mess. I just smile at her, " Then let's forget your parents and Gavin and have the best, Best friends road trip ever!"

Nicole looks at me and smiles, "Sounds good."

"Good. Let's see what these knuckleheads are doing." I say as I open the door.

Nicole and I made our way to the guys who were trying to take the flat tire off the car. Cody had the wrench cross thing trying his hardest to turn the bolts.

"Cody let me try." Chris affects.

"No man. I got this." Cody said, heaving between words. Seeing Cody sweat and his biceps tighten up makes him look like one of those calendar guys.

The wrench thing falls to the ground and Cody almost goes down with it, coughing uncontrollably.

"Yo Cody, need to cut back on smoking." Chris teases as he pats Cody on the back.

"Here, let me try.' Rico says, taking the wrench from Cody's hands and gets in position and starts to loosen the bolts, "thanks for losing the bolts man." Rico teases Cody.

"No problem." Cody says, seeming frustrated. I watch Cody walk towards the back of the Jeep and pull back the floor of the jeep. He pulls out a can of beer.

Something's up.

I walk towards Cody as he lights up his cigarette. I stand there quietly, looking at him.

Cody looks at me while taking a sip of his beer, "What?" He says then looks away from me, butting out his smoke on the ground.

"Spill it." I challenge him.

Cody looks at me, I guess trying to think what to say or hoping his silence will make me leave. It won't. Cody is Cody, but he's been different lately. Sometimes he seems like he is trying too hard to be himself.

"There's nothing to spill, Miss Chantel." Cody says.

I walk over and lean onto the Jeep next to him and I lay my head on his shoulder. Let's try the soft approach.

"Chantel, what are you doing?" Cody says in a surrendering voice.

"Being a friend." I said. There was silence between us, " What? No snarky remarks?" I said teasing him.

"No. What I want to do with you doesn't need words." Cody says, looking at me.

He has a way of flattering me and putting me in a position of hurting him at the same time, "Cody.. we talked about this, I..."

"I know." He interrupts me, " but I will remind you every second of every day how much I love you, until the day I die."

I giggle, " Really!?!" He does know how to make me feel special, "what are you going to do when I marry someone?"

Cody stares into my eyes as he moves and stands in front of me, " It won't matter. Husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends.... I don't care. I will always be the one who'll love you more, " I swallow hard, feeling nervous as Cody leans towards me. He traces my ear with his lips, "and one day, if you're ready, I'll show you how much I love you" with that said, Cody lifts my hand to his lips and he gives a gentle kiss on the top of my hand.

"Ok guys, the tire's fixed! Let's go." Rico shouts from the front of the Jeep.

Cody walks away from me, "Shotgun!" He shouts as I try to catch my breath