"Grandmother, I-I have to keep moving or I'll fall. I can't allow myself to fall now when my people need me the most."

"But if you tire yourself out your people will have nothing."

Daiyin knew she was right, but didn't want to admit it at loud. If she burnt-out so quickly after being crowned, people would doubt her. She would be weak. She would never allow herself to be weak, certainly not when everyone needed her.

She lowers her head, trying to let it all sink in. When she raised her head again Mai was gone, but in her stead was someone she has never met in person. She only knows who he is due to his portrait that hangs in the palace and the many stories she was told of him.

"Iroh?"

The old man was even more wrinkled than her own grandfather and the grooves of his skin are only exaggerated by his large smile. "Hello, sweet girl," the man says, his voice booming through the valley. His kind eyes study her face, a moment of sadness passing over him.

"My dear, you look so much like your father."

Daiyin knows little about Iroh. Most of which she knows is due to her grandfather. Talking about his uncle always made him melancholic, but also proud. But she doesn't remember Zuko telling her that her father was close to his great-uncle.

"You have known him, Prince Iroh?" Iroh chuckles at her polite, almost cold, demeanor and waves his hands dismissively in her direction. "Please, girl, it is uncle Iroh to you. And yes, I have known your father very well. He was under my tutelage in firebending. He was not very gifted, but his dilligent work was most important. I died just shortly before he got married to your mother."

Iroh's smile dies down at remembering the unfortunate time he departed from the world of the living, but it quickly resumes its presence on his face.

"I have seen a lot of your journey, Daiyin. You've had battles, you have suffered and endured. It can be hard to forget what you have when you've lived such a life."

Daiyin frowns. She didn't quite understand what he was hinting at. She has had hardships during her life, but she didn't know it in any other way. She would do anything for her people and her country. Others must have much harder lifes that deserve more credit than the pampered princess of the Fire Nation.

"And what is that," the Fire Lord scoffs. She still didn't see what direction this conversation was going. She felt quite content, actually.

Well.. a bit content, perhaps.

Iroh shakes his head, a sad smile on his old face. "Relationships, Daiyin."

The Fire Lord scoffs again. She knows she is supposed to respect her elders, but should she still when the elder was being ridiculous?

"I have my family, that's all I need," Daiyin responds. The dark haired fire bender crosses her arms before her chest defensively. She had put up her protective shield.

"You know that is not true. In your journey you have created friendships, even if you refuse to admit to them. As much as you wish to deny it, Korra is your friend. Mako, Bolin and Asami are your friends." Iroh speaks softly to her, calm and gentle.

But Daiyin didn't agree with what he said and she would let him know that.

"They're not my friends! I don't have any friends! They only stick around because they need me. They use me. We use each other, it is as simple as that. A business transaction and nothing more."