Chapter 28 - On Her Own

Start from the beginning

I finally opened the door hearing him call me a bitch one last time before I started to run down the street. I am glad that he lives about a 10 minutes' walk from my street. I ran towards my house as fast as I could. My side was severely hurting. He must have broken or bruised a rib. My nose was still bleeding. I have no clue what else is bleeding but it looks like I'm covered in it. My nose hurt by each step I took. My head started to really hurt and my leg was stinging.

When I saw my house I started crying because I knew I would be safe there. I knew everything would be okay when I get there.  I was running up the driveway seeing that my father's truck and mother's truck was there. Mine was at Mitch's along with my shoes, phone, and purse.  I finally made it to the steps but as I was jogging up the wooden steps I fell on the last one landing in front of the door. I cried out loud feeling all the pain and unable to move. I cried out loud for the only person I ever cried out for when I was hurt.

"DADDY!" I cried loudly and heard the front door open.

"What the hell is all this noise.... Bailee? BAILEE! Nikki call an ambulance!" I heard Pa say as me moved and then touched my side to move me but I cried out.

"STOP! No!" I said pushing his hand away from the side Mitch kicked at least twice.

"Bailee, what happened?" Pa asked. "Can you move?' I shook my head yes and tried to move my hardest. I was able to sit and look at him.

"I called the ambulance but... Oh no." Mama said as she came out and looked at me. She started to cry. "Who did this to you?" She asked crying.

"Nikki, just get a bowl of warm water and a towel." Papa said. I was still crying. I moved my hand to my nose and pulled away still seeing blood. I looked at Papa.

"Daddy... Michel... He..." I started to say but started to cry again. Pa sat closer next to me and pulled me onto his lap.

"It's gonna be okay baby girl. No one is going to hurt you again. I promise you. I will show that mother fucker who the hell's daughter he just messed with." Pa growled. I hugged onto Pa tight feeling safe. Just like I use to when I was little and scrapped my knee. Soon we heard the ambulance.

"Daddy... I'm so sorry." I cried.

"It's not your fault baby. Michel should have never hit you. We are going to get you checked out okay." Pa said holding my head close to him as he hushed me.

"No daddy..." I cried. "I'm pregnant." I cried harder. Pa sighed and rubbed my back.

"It's okay. We will get the baby checked out too. Mitch will pay sweetheart. There is no reason to hit a woman especially when she is pregnant with your baby." Pa told me. I opened my eyes seeing the ambulance pulling out a stretcher. I didn't want to go in a stretcher. Ma finally came out with a towel and warm water. "Nikki, can you take pictures first before we clean and they get her in the ambulance?" Pa asked.

Ma took pictures of me. I had to stay still and the ambulance guys waited for them to be done with the pictures. Then they started to ask me questions. It was hard for me to breathe and talk with my ribs hurting so badly. Then they asked me to just say where everything hurt and they would take me to the hospital and help me.

I heard Pa in the background saying that he is getting his keys and going to Mitch's. I didn't want Pa getting locked up because of Mitch. I started to cry and say no over and over again. The one guy told me to calm down but I said no. Then I cried harder.

"Can one of you calm her down please?" Asked one guy to my parents.

"Daddy pleases!" I asked. I opened my eyes and looked at him. He looked at me full of sorrow.