Chapter 6 - Lost

Tate has been gone for a week. Papa and I have been all around town asking about him. People would say that they have seen him and promise us that they would tell him to call us. Mama has been worried sick about him and she said she refuses to go to chemo until we find Tate. She is starting her first thing of chemo tomorrow because she already has the stent in her.

Kendyl has even came around and asked where Tate is at. Bailee and Bryson have gone around the town and looked in places that were not bars. They even went to the mall. I was pissed because he was not trying to come home. He knows better than any of us that Mama needs him around. He doing this only makes things worse.

I told Pa to stay home with mama today and try and convince her to go to chemo tomorrow. Tate would want her to go and not wait for him. I even made a trip to his college. I knew a few people he had classes with and tried to find them on the campus.

No one said they saw him on campus so he hasn't gone to college. I then thought to check his ex girlfriends. That was going to be fun.

I walked up to Amber's parent's house and knocked on the door. I hoped that she was there and had saw Tate. I had my hands in my pockets waiting for someone to answer the door. When it finally opened an older bald man opened the door. I gave him a week smile but he still had a thin line expression. He looked at me weird so I decided to speak first.

"Hello sir, is Amber home?" I asked him. He didn't move or speak for a few seconds. He was staring me down. Great. A weird dad.

"Yes. Why do you need her?" he asked bitterly.
"I just need to speak with her sir. It has to do with my brother." I said. He huffed.

"You're a Bryan boy. I don't see why Tate ran away from my daughter when she is pregnant." He huffed again. "AMBER GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE. A BRYAN BOY'S HERE TO SEE YOU." He yelled. He then walked away from the door and left it open. I didn’t know what to do. I guess Amber lied to her dad saying Tate got her pregnant. Soon I saw Amber coming to the door and she looked at me in disgust.

"What are you doing here Thomas?" She would never call me Bo. It was always Thomas.

"Have you seen Tate?" She laughed.

"Not since he told me to go fuck myself." She said.

"Do you know where he could be?" She looked at me confused.

"Why are you looking for him? Isn't he home with mommy and daddy?" She crossed her arms and glared at me.

"No. Listen Amber. It's really crucial that I find out where he is." I said hoping she would have sympathy and help.

"Why? Is he in trouble?" She asked.

"No, haven't you been paying attention to the news?" I asked. Knowing that I have gotten a lot of sympathetic looks from people at the office where I'm recording.

"No? What's going on?" She asked now concerned.

"Our mama has cancer. He fought with our father and our dad basically told him to not come back. We haven't seen him in a week. Mama is scared that something happened to him but every bar we talk to they say they saw him but it was last night or the night before. I need him to come home because Mama is refusing chemo till he comes home. You know how big of a mama's boy he is. That is her baby boy because of how close they really are. Please if you hear anything please call the house phone." I pleaded. She nodded fast.

"The creek. Go there. He won't start drinking till 6. It's still only 3:30. It's a 30 minute drive so I'd hurry. If he isn't there then you can check the trails by the motel. Did you check his friend's house? He would stay there. David is the drunk of the group so he is the major one he would stay at." She said giving me all this information.