12- Chaotic First Day

Start from the beginning

"What are you — Are you a king right now?" Siddharth asked the obvious.

While I was busy taking in this hilarious reality, Abhiraj seemed quite pissed off. "I told the manager to leave me alone but he wanted me to put on this weird dress. It feels as if I time-traveled or something. Just look at the length and the colors... so disgusting. I tell you that man is mad. He is crazy." He shrugged his shoulders, pulling this dress so that he could avoid stumbling over it and keeping his face for now.

"Are you in a position to complain? How can you make me wear this female outfit?"

"You are being dramatic. Just look at my situation."

"You get to play the king and what about me? Catfish? Are you kidding me?" He was fuming, almost ready to throw a few fists in the air.

"You are looking cute in that though."

"Just shut up—" He stopped midway due to my interruption.

I sigh out loud. "You guys are acting so immature. Can you just stop this drama and think? As it is, we are already in a mess."

Both of them gazed at me for a whole minute before looking at each other and giggling out of their hearts. As I looked at them, more confused than ever, Abhiraj broke my confusion. "Your words really don't suit your getup for a fool magician."

And the laughter continued.

★★★

This is not what I signed up for.

All kinds of children are arriving with their parents after hearing or coming across the discount sales on the occasion of Children's Day.

Everyone is busy with their assigned work. I had an audience of a handful of kids with runny noses and chubby cheeks, dancing and jumping around like crazy. All afternoon, my ears hurt after listening to their lists of creative questions.

"Can you make a hat out of this pencil?"

"Can you call a genie for me so that I can make it do my homework?"

"Aren't you like a magician? Please go to my school on my behalf."

Those little kids made me realize that today's world has become dangerous and the kids are more dangerous than ever.

"Can I steal that magic wand from you? Then I might be able to summon a genie. Robot? Alien?"

I lean against the counter and say, "What do you need my magic wand for?"

"Oh God, of course, to summon a genie or someone with similar powers. You are so stupid." The chubby kid pouted, crunching on a packet of chips. Kids can be more annoying than you think.

Crunch, crunch, crunch — the sound didn't stop. It just grew with much more noise of girls running after Cinderella and Snow White. Then there was our Spiderman distributing cakes to all the kids, jolly and hopping around to play with them.

The parents were on some other level. Some complained about the discounts, the products and overall everything. Some of them were just laughing and goofing around the stall, taking an extra look for their kids. And some of them couldn't care any less, busy stalling across with their friends and neighbors. Single fathers were busy checking their lists, grandparents with their grandchildren, and teenagers who were playing with their phones.

Who would imagine such a busy and weird first day? Not anyone sane.

"Welcome to Pegasus Market." An announcement buzzed in the intercom. "We welcome all the little children in our store on the occasion of Children's Day. Please everyone is requested to gather near the store entrance. We have gifts for everyone."

My attention snapped as I looked over my shoulders to see Siddharth pulling the whistle out of his mouth. Poor man got stuck here though he pleaded with the manager so that he could leave, Instead manager Arnav got to know he is a jobless man for now, so he decided he might as well help here due to the overflowing customers.

"Catfish suits you well." I pulled the hat off me as the kids rushed towards the entrance.

Siddharth smiled half-heartedly. "Very funny. This is messed up. I should have been the king but look at me now." He shakes his head relentlessly.

I couldn't stop laughing whenever my eyes fell on him. "I didn't know this store was so popular."

"It has great ratings from the customers for amazing service. This one is still part of our family business only because it earns profits. There are no two stores this big around this area." That was true. "But I don't know what will happen when that store opens," he points to the opposite building which was still working on its interiors.

I simply nodded as we reached the entrance to see our king distributing 5 stars and Munch chocolate bars. The kids all surrounded the beloved majesty while he was hardly managing his oversized robe. "Just look at that joker. He thinks he looks cool," Siddharth murmured near my ear.

I rolled my eyes, not caring to comment any further on that. I looked at the cheerful gang of kids and my eyes darted around the room to see the other staff clapping and playing music. Some had pulled their wigs, smudged their makeup and stood behind the computers to make the bills.

Soon, I turned to the entrance gate which opened and there stood a man quite around my age, maybe a little older— around thirty or so. He fitted well in that striped shirt which looked quite expensive, giving off an air of affluence. He smiled to see the kids running around which was odd for some reason. He didn't strike me as someone who would typically enjoy the company of kids. His face bore a peculiar resemblance to Siddharth's.

"Oh shit!" I snapped out of my thoughts to see Siddharth standing behind me, attempting to hide his face. "I need to run."

Perplexed, I asked, "Why? What happened?"

Siddharth hesitated for a moment, then slowly uttered, "My brother..." The suspense hung in the air for a heartbeat before it hit me – the man at the entrance was undeniably Siddharth's brother.

~.~

Hope you are doing well.

How was this chapter? Hope you enjoyed it.

Please vote, comment and share.