8- Twisted tales

Payal

"Breathe in. Breathe out." I chanted as I took a long deep breath, a smile forming on my face. I tried my best to keep my nervousness undercover.

"So tell me about you."

I looked up straight and repeated the words that I had practised. "Good morning everyone present. Myself Payal Bhansali and..." I took a glance at the piece of paper in my hand.

I looked up at the mirror once again to rehearse the lines. The interview day came so suddenly that it came as a big shock for me.

I fixed my hair and put on a blue saree just like my brother-in-law suggested. You might argue that your dress doesn't define your character. Of course, it doesn't. I can write a whole article on this issue but right now, dress style didn't matter as long as it helped me get the job.

"Payal! Come for breakfast!" I looked at the mirror for the last time, silently praying to every deity so that I can happily win this job. I checked my phone to check my mail.

There it was- my online marriage certificate looking as real as possible.

I could have never imagined getting my marriage certificate before marrying. Well, maybe it was my fate, who knows?

"Why did the interview dates get preponed? I thought it was on the 14th." My sister asked my brother-in-law who just picked up the bread as he complained about how amazing it would have been to have mango in this season.

After noticing Anvita Di staring at him, he realised what she had been asking him. "I don't know. I just heard from Sandeep Ji that the interview will take place today because someone important will be coming to the market." He looked at me and said, "Remember all the things he told you."

I nodded at him, feeling a sudden surge of confidence inside. As I stuffed the bread in my mouth, I heard my phone ring from my room. "Be sure to take everything." I heard my sister when I went to take my phone.

"Hey, did you die or something? I had been calling you for so long!" As Shruti shouted from the other end, I blinked, confused at what she was saying.

"Did you?" I checked the call logs to notice that she called me two times already.

I heard her sigh. "Leave it. Today is the interview, right? Do it well. What about Siddharth?"

I picked up my bag and dashed out of the room while talking over the phone. "I will tell him. Everything is ready though. He will not go today. Let's see what happens." I rested the phone on my shoulder and placed my ear next to it.

"Why? Call him and tell him. What's wrong?"

"Today is just my interview. What will he do there? And he seems to be busy today. Anyway, I don't want to overdo it." I put on my shoes and waved goodbye to my sister and Jiju.

I took the lift and straight ran to take an auto. As every auto was hell-bent on rejecting me, I shook my head, frustrated at this early morning bad luck. "Don't worry. I will inform him about today's interview."

I sighed after hanging up. That's when I noticed an auto and walked in front of it as it pulled over near me. I jumped on the seat while hearing the driver complain about how youngsters these days must be relaxed and how it's dangerous on the road.

After settling on my seat, I called up Siddharth but strangely he didn't pick up. He must be busy.

I ended up texting him as the auto took up speed.

★★★

Siddharth

"Oh gosh! It's late!" I picked up a green T-shirt and denim jeans from the pile of clothes bunked up in my cupboard. I wonder when I am going to have the time to put them in the washing machine.