9 - Odds and Evens

Siddharth

"Ah... so you are Payal's husband? Nice to meet you." Manager Arnav shook hands with me. His forgetfulness was coming to my rescue in the best way possible. 

I wonder how talented he has to be to not notice something so obvious. Don't I just look like the heir of the Star Group, Siddharth Ahuja? How dumb! 

You should be glad, you idiot! My subconscious shouted back. 

"I am glad to meet you as well." I smiled, trying to keep my anxious heart at ease. Yes, it was good that he didn't recognize me and he should never recognize me either. 

"How are you here Siddharth?" On this question of Payal, everyone's eyes fell on me. My heart raced and I could feel the sweat under my collar.

Keeping my nervousness inside, I coughed out a little before replying, "That's because I wanted to see the market." I looked around, pretending to be in awe. "This market is huge and nice. Must be very profitable, I heard." 

By now, as I noticed their looks, I was sure I made my impression as a weirdo but soon the manager laughed it off. "It is true. Young husbands are always so worried about their wives. I can understand." 

As he laughed, I tried the same to make me feel at ease. But as the laughter rose in the air, what increased was my anxiety and embarrassment. 

"Sir, didn't you want to talk to our manager?" The woman asked as I expected.

Feeling his gaze over me, I responded in reflex. "That's because I was curious about this rule for married employees. As a husband, I was just worried." I shrugged with a smile.

The manager still kept smiling. I wonder if he always smiles like this. It was getting uncomfortable. "Our boss is very particular with beliefs and he believes this market is just open for married employees. We provide all help for them. We even have a kid's room where working mothers bring their children too. We give every facility needed. We care for our employees like a family." 

I nod, understanding the policies as I knew them all beforehand. Though I hate this job, I gave considerable time to learn about this market.

"Payal, I would leave you here then. We will inform you about the interview results by mail." The manager left after saying this. As Payal bowed and greeted him goodbye, I kept taking deep breaths, preparing myself to answer her questions.

Before she could ask anything, I asked her, "You are curious, aren't you?" 

"Of course. What were you doing here really?" 

That was it. I could imagine myself running to my death. She will evidently be curious about me. Putting the last bit of courage together, I was about to spill it out when my phone rang. 

I saw the manager's name flashing on it and noticed that he was waiting in front of the entrance. Think fast, Siddharth. 

I quickly excused myself to go to the restroom. Before calling him back, I had to think about my plan. I can't tell him that I can't make it today because my father is going to ask him about me. 

That's when Abhiraj called me. "Bro, bro, I was on a date with Shruti when I met Nandini, the singing club girl. Our college reunion date got fixed. It's after two weeks! I am so excited. And you have to come with us." 

"Abhiraj, I am stressed. Can I call—" That's when my mind worked best. As the idea flashed, a smile formed on my face. "Wait, where are you right now?"

"Me?" He paused before continuing, "Ah, this is 'Zindagi na Milegi Dobara Hair Salon'. What the heck? Does that mean I will look like Hrithik Roshan if I get a cut from here?" His voice didn't sound like he was joking.