2

—2. On The Fence
NEW FEELINGS

  SCARLETT WAS in her room, listening to Nirvana , smells like teen spirit

  SCARLETT WAS in her room, listening to Nirvana , smells like teen spirit. It was kind of ironic- seeing as she was getting ready for basketball tryouts at the high school later this evening.

She had her yellow jersey and shorts that cut off just above the knees, she had no makeup on- she didn't exactly feel like looking like a raccoon after tryouts.

Currently, she was trying her hair in a high ponytail. Her natural wave always made it harder to deal with and she never had the time nor the money, so she just put it up all the time.

Suddenly, Shawn busted through the door and turned down her music, "I want a water gun." He informed simply.

Scarlett rolled her eyes, moving to her bed to put her sneakers on, "That's great, Shawn. It's nice to want things."

"No! I mean, yes! But I need it!" Shawn shouted in a sort of confused tone.

"Why? What's so special about a water gun?" Scarlett asked as she tied her laces.

Shawn sighed, sitting down beside her and handed her a brochure, "Colour chart's on the back."

Scarlett flipped open the brochure, "How much do these things cost?"

"How can you put a price on the safety of your family?" Shawn exclaimed.

"You are my only family, Shawnie," Scarlett rolled her eyes, before they widened, "$50?!"

"$49.95...plus tax, but—" Shawn argued but was cut off.

"These water guns better have a hidden compartment with gold inside or something!" Scarlett complained, but sighed seeing the pleading look on her brothers face, "Fine, I'll buy you one. Which one do you want?"

Shawn wanted to say the biggest and most expensive one, but he knew how hard Scarlett worked to keep him happy and healthy, so he pointed to the one in the middle, "That one."

"Ok, let's go get a water gun. I guess." Scarlett sighed, but smiled seeing her brothers eyes light up with joy.

"Oh, Lettie! You're the best!" Shawn cheered in happiness, hugging his sister lightly before running out of the trailer- wasting no time.