Drinking Coffee Like a Person

Start from the beginning

      Without any further hesitation, Bill lifted the mug to his face and took a huge gulp of the beverage. God knows how much sugar the mixture contained, especially considering that every type of creamer was put within it. It was still extremely hot, and it burned his throat like fire. Bill paused, savoring the agony. Pain was an amazing feeling. It slowed time down, forcing Bill to feel every second of it. Einstein once said, When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

      Ol' Albert was right. This was Bill's first encounter with pain, and he couldn't get enough of it. Nothing made him feel more alive. He paused, staring at the hot liquid with wide eyes. Then he abruptly lifted the cup to his forehead and turned it over.

      The beverage scalded his whole face and neck. It soaked into his clothes and began to burn his chest and arms. It felt as if fire was spreading all over his body. Laughter rose from Bill's throat, growing louder with every passing second.

     "Sir! Are you okay? That was scalding hot!" The waitress exclaimed from a few tables away.

     "Haha, I know! It feels great!" Bill exclaimed, staring at her with a wide grin. "Hey, can I get another one of those?"

     The waitress stared at him in shock for an ill-defined amount of time before leaving to get the manager. It was clear that she didn't know how to deal with this. Bill didn't want to fool around with the manager, so he left some money on the table and stood to leave. But he noticed a familiar girl staring at him, and stopped.

      It was (y/n), from the book club. He could recall studying her in the library, and reading her like an open book. It was easy to read the minds of every human, hers included. But what he found there was a little more... interesting than what he usually came across.

      (y/n) was suspicious. If she wasn't yet, she would be soon. She could feel that something was up with him, and Bill took that as a threat. Although he knew that she had no chance in hell of finding out his true identity on her own – there's no possible way that a human would just have a lucky guess and decide that he's an astral being – she still had the potential to ruin his plans. He had to drive her off; put her down the exact opposite path. If even one human got to asking dangerous questions, god knows what would happen.

      Bill had to take preemptive action.

      "Oh, hey! (y/n)! Fancy meeting you here!" He exclaimed as he stopped by her table, "How's the book club going?"

      (y/n) stared up at him in confusion, but still answered. "It's okay, I guess."

      Bill grinned as he stared down at her. "Lovely, lovely! What're you doing there? Math homework? The answer is forty-two. Well, now that that's solved, come on! Walk with me!" He turned and began to walk away, not bothering to look back. He exited the restaurant, then set off down the sidewalk at a quick pace.

      (y/n) caught up in a matter of seconds, just as he had expected for her to. "Wait! Where are we going?" She said as she struggled to match his brisk pace.

      "Oh, you know. Just a walk. It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Bill said as he gestured towards the robin egg blue sky. All he had to do was confuse her with small talk long enough to hook her into a conversation. Then he could start the real distraction.

     Unfortunately, he wouldn't get the chance to. As he rounded the corner, he could see a crowd near the spot where the students had fallen. There were about two hundred people, all of whom were chanting, "Jump, jump, jump!"

     The professor stood at the edge of the roof.

     "Oh, for the love of-" Bill sighed as he stared up at him. "Ben, no.."

     "Why... Why are they encouraging him?!" (y/n) asked from beside him, clearly horrified.

     "Well," Bill said as he tore his gaze away from the man, "they didn't form a huge crowd to not see someone jump. It's a little thing called deindividuation, look into it. But that doesn't matter right now." He shrugged off his coffee-stained tailcoat and straightened his top hat before running towards the building.

    Space was a simple concept, and Bill had learned to conquer it just as he did time. What should have taken him five minutes took five milliseconds. He was atop the roof in no time, standing next to the professor. "Oh, Ben, I thought that you'd be clever. Or at least a little smarter than your students. But look at you, stooping to their level. Pun intended."

    The professor stared at him in horror. "You! You made us think this way! You're the one that made us realize..." He looked over the edge again.

    "Realize.... What, exactly?" Bill pressed with a frown.

    "My life only matters to me. You said it yourself; I'm worthless. They were worthless too. Nothing matters, so why are we still here? It's only logical to end it now-"

    "You're an idiot. I gave you so many good things to go off of in that speech, and you pick out the worst possible bit to form this way off-track opinion. Ugh, just like a human." Bill scolded as he glared at Benjamin. The other turned and stared at him in surprise. "But-"

     "But nothing! You didn't pick up all of what I put down, now you're really going to make me throw the rest at you?! Such idiocy; how are you a professor, of all things? Fine. As I've previously said, the human life is worthless trash, and a complete mistake. That's why you need to try to make something of it, you ding-dong!"

     Ben stared at him blankly with wide eyes. Instead of trying to interrupt as he did in the classroom, he listened intently.

    "Your life is an insignificant thing, just as every other human's is. That's why you should try to do something productive with it, and actually contribute to society. Every human on this planet has the wrong priorities, and I'm trying to make you get yours in shape. I gave you a completely different understanding of time, Ben. You could have easily done a little bit of studying on that. I guarantee you that if you had, you would have been set on the road to becoming the next Einstein. A hero to the science community. You could have contributed to the world by giving it something it would have operated on for the next few centuries. I see every variable, Ben. I know everything that was, is, will, and could have been. You could've been great, but you only saw half of my point and now you're going to willingly die worthless. Way to go." Bill clapped slowly as he turned and walked to the stairs. "Do us all a favor and come back off that ledge. Don't want you getting pushed over by a breeze or something."

     Ben hesitated. It was clear that he wasn't sure whether or not to trust Bill, but the wheels in his mind were clearly turning. After a few minutes, he succumbed and backed away from the ledge.