Chapter Ninety Nine

Poseidon leaned over and grabbed one of the scrolls from the ever growing pile. Please stay safe Mal, he thought.

Someone was screaming.

"I mean, that's understandable," Ashaki said softly as Jasmine held her close.

Well actually there were dozens of people screaming.

"Again...understandable," Evan nodded, having gone over to sit next to his mom and curl up by her. He felt no shame in wanting his mother's comfort here.

The unconscious body of their King seemed to get the Auradonians into an understandable panic.

"Glad we're all in agreement that it's understandable," Herkie said as Hercules held him close.

"Mal! Mal, calm down!"

"How can she...? Belle whispered, her heartbreak audible in her voice as Beast wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Logically, they knew their son would be all right but logic had no place in a parent's worry.

Someone was saying her name. They shouldn't be telling me to calm down, they should be telling whoever's letting loose that soul shattering scream to calm down. Gods I know people love Ben but...I mean...no, he...he's not gone! He can't be gone! I...he doesn't know how much I love him!

"I knew Dragon," Benji whispered as he held Malinda close to him. "You never had to tell me."

But it took Mal a minute to realize that one of the people screaming, the person who was screaming Ben's name, who was almost sinking to her knees in fear and panic...it was her.

Well Fred...you got Mal screaming.... Claudine thought, biting her lip.

"No...Gods, no," Mal muttered, shaking her head. Her eyes remained locked on Ben, as if staring at him would somehow cause him to get up and resume the fight.

"I wanted to...trust me, even though I was unconscious, I wanted to," Benji said softly.

"Well, well, well," Freddy smirked and Mal's eyes latched onto him, narrowing in anger and disgust.

"I wouldn't be talking right now!" Chip snarled.

"He put up a good fight, I must admit. But only one of us had the grace of God on his side and it certainly wasn't Beastie Jr. here."

"You son of a—!"

"Emir!"

"Akiho!" Their parents exclaimed at the same time.

"But—!"

Aziz shook his head. "Guys, I understand what you're feeling but don't forget, there're kids here who don't need to learn new words."

It was then that Mal realized something else, as Freddy moved to close the distance between himself and Ben as if he was going to finish him off.

"I. Will. Vaporize. You!" Mal snarled, leaning towards the scrolls like it was Freddy himself.

Hades sighed. "Mal, I understand your anger but please don't threaten the brother I like."

"If he's reading the scroll, it's an understood risk dad!"

When she had sank to her knees, she had gotten out of Akiho's grip. Her arms were free.

"Get him Mal!" Hadie exclaimed.

And she had a dagger.

"Ooh Freddy's about to regret escaping the Isle now!" Harry said with a grin.