Chapter Sixty Seven

Evie sighed softly as she picked up the scroll. Unless it was her imagination, each scroll seemed to get darker and darker as they went on. She hoped that she'd somehow get a more lighthearted scroll.

Evie smiled slightly as she sat by her father's hospital bed, sketching the final design for Mal's cotillion gown.

"Ooh, I bet it's going to be gorgeous!" Dizzy said, her typical megawatt grin threatening to split her face in two.

Like everything she did, Evie knew Mal's dress was going to look stunning but there was still something in the back of her mind that didn't sit well with her.

"Well...you were right about it being stunning," Malinda said. "But then again, everything you make is."

This wasn't Mal's style.

No...no it wasn't, Malinda thought with a small sigh. Though I tried to make it my style.

Evie might not have been the closest of friends with the Godling but even she knew that.

"You don't have to be good friends with someone to know what looks good on them and what doesn't," Elle said.

Mal's style was more dark colors, leather, and dragons. Not this bright yellow and blue strapless gown.

"...yeah I don't really see Mal wearing that," Rowyn nodded.

"She did in my timeline," Audie said. "Or at least during the viewing we saw."

It's none of your business, Evie thought as she continued to sketch. If Mal wants to change her style, you just nod and go along with it. After all, Mal could have insisted you be punished for your actions at the coronation but she didn't. Instead she was able to go ahead and work with Ben to get your dad back.

"In this case it is your business," Uma said. "Not to mention you're Mal's roommate! Invoke roommate privilege if that's a thing!"

And he was truly back, something Evie would be forever grateful for.

Harriet, Harry, and CJ all avoided the other readers' eyes as Sammy bit her lip, Henry rubbed the back of his neck, and Jay fiddled with his beanie.

Evie doesn't know how lucky she is, he thought. I'd...I'd give anything to have mom be able to come back.

Dr. Sweet had brought her father out of the medical coma about a week ago and Evie had been by every day after classes.

Snow frowned slightly. "Evie dear, I know you're happy your father's back...Gods know I'd jump at the chance to get my own father back, but don't burn yourself out okay?"

"Hmm..." Daniel groaned as he woke up. The unfortunate thing about being Maleficent's captive for around eight years or so was the fact that he seemed to tire easily.

"Whoever recorded this, and I mean no offense to the Fates if it was them, needs math lessons," Herkie said. "Eight years after Evie's sixth birthday would have made Evie fourteen, not sixteen."

"To be fair, it does say eight years or so," Macaria pointed out.

"Still!"

He was always coming in and out of naps which didn't necessarily make him the best companion.

Evie didn't mind in the slightest.

Evie shook her head. "Why would I? He's home...that means the world to me," she said softly.