FOURTEEN

B R I T T A N Y

My hand stayed connected with hers as I planted my gaze onto the painting situated on the wall before us allowing it to bear fruits of pure admiration.

"Do you like it?" She questioned softly as I rested my head against her shoulder drowning in the comfort she brought.

"I love it," I replied truthfully, capturing the emotions the image evoked into a cabin on my train of thoughts.

"It was painted by Oscar Sanchez, his idea was to capture the beauty in death," She explained confidently and I couldn't help but admire the depth of her beautiful mind. She had spent the entire night explaining each and every painting that whispered words of compulsion onto my soul.

If I was being completely honest with myself I had never imagined us getting this far, especially since Nia was the one who practically forced me to go on our first date, and continue to pursue her. I mean without Nia's stubborn and bossy nature, I would've followed my doubtful brain and cancelled.

"Tell me more," I requested, drawn to the painting before me.

"The blood on the soil represents the pain of death and losing someone while the tree that grew from the soil represents new life and the faith that things will change for the better,"

"Do you believe in that?" I questioned as I lifted my head to look at her.

"What?" She asked, frowning slightly as her eyes melted into mine.

"Beauty in death?"

"I guess it depends on the day you ask," She replied with a slight grin that seemed to only appear in hopes of removing the attention from the sadness present in her eyes.

"What about now?" I inquired, earning a sigh from her as her hand fell from mine to wrap her arm around my waist.

"Right now I can see, the beauty,"

"And what do you see?" I asked eager to know as I held onto reality to keep myself from getting lost in her.

"Appreciation, the many losses I have endured in this life teaches me to appreciate every soul I meet and every soul that makes me feel something," She mumbled in a nostalgic tone that was wrapped in an intense string of emotions. "Do you?"

I diverted my gaze to the painting once more.

"I don't know," I responded and she allowed a low hum to escape her as she placed a gentle kiss against my forehead.

Her reflection to God was uncanny, and that awakened the very hands that built each wall that guarded my heart since usually things that appeared that way ended badly; but a huge part of me hoped this wasn't a facade, that I wouldn't wake up one day to label her a mistake or a memory because she realised she could do better or-

"Wanna talk about it?" She asked, interrupting my continuous thoughts and I tilted my head to look at her.

"The painting?"

"No, what's on your mind?" She clarified in a soft tone as people arrived next to us.

"Nothing, I'm just feeling tired," I half lied because even though I wasn't physically, mentally I was drained since I had spent the majority of tonight overthinking about her and whatever this was.

"Wanna go home?"

"Yeah,"

"Let's go," She communicated holding me against her as we began making our way to the exit. The small affectionate gestures she had placed as an offering to my soul and vessel never failed to amaze me since it would be the first time someone had graced me with such forms of affection, especially in public.

"Ms Johnson," A voice called out and she turned, leaving us to watch as a man approached us with a woman by his side.

"Mr Weats," She greeted, shaking his outstretched hand.

"It's a pleasure to see you again"

"Likewise, this my date Brittany,"

"Nice to meet you," He voiced shaking my hand as well, and it was small things like this, her introducing me without me asking she ha-

"Just come by my office and we'll talk then," She informed him dismissing us immediately before resuming our journey to the exit. "He would've talked all night if I let him,"

"Thank you," I voiced as she opened the door, leaving us to step outside as I released a small laugh at her previous statement.

"Do you want to stop and get some food on the way home?" She asked as we began making our way towards her car.

"No, I just want to go home but if you want to I'm-"

"It's only seven," She announced and I diverted my gaze towards her to find her eyes trained on her wristwatch.

"And I have a child remember," I replied as we arrived at the car and she smiled turning to face me.

"I know and understand that completely but I was kind of hoping you would come back to my place," She confessed as she moved closer to me.

"For what?" I asked and she smiled looking down at the floor for a split second before reconnecting our eyes.

"Why do you think Britt?" She asked, pulling a smile from me.

"I don't know," I replied, playing dumb and she leaned forward holding my chin as she attached our lips. I kissed her back immediately enjoying the feelings she left to reside in me that were so different from anything I have ever experienced.

Her touch was always laced with such care and tenderness whenever I graced her hold, as if I was the most precious thing that she had ever been in contact with.

"I want to watch you cum," She announced boldly, catching me off guard. I was used to the people I dated insinuating things but she always spoke her mind with such her honesty that-

"Baby" She called out, reminding me that I hadn't replied to her previous statement, and I smiled at the sound of the communicated nickname that she had placed on me, but the expression died as soon as it came as questions and doubts began filling my mind.

"Is that why you asked me out again?" I questioned curiously and she frowned, gazing into my eyes.

"No, of course not,"

"Then wh-"

"We not doing this," She stated, removing her body from mine.

"Doing what?" I asked as she pulled my door open.

"You questioning and," She started but stopped releasing a sigh. "If you truly believe that I'm only with you for sex I must be doing something wrong and for that I'm sorry, Britt I won't ask you to sleep with me again, whenever you want to and feel as if you trust me enough we'll have sex,"

Her words were aided by her staring into the depths of my soul with her intense and piercing eyes.

"I'm sorry," I voiced quickly regretting everything I said because in all honesty, she never really did anything to make me feel as if what we had was based on sex.

"It's okay I understand you've been through a lot, I don't mind working at your pace,"

"I-"

"Come here," She instructed and I moved into her hold loving the way her arms engulfed my body allowing me to get the comfort and reassurance I needed. "We good,"

"I-"

"We good, you ain't got to explain at least not right now," She expressed before pulling back to look into my eyes and I nodded. "Let me take you home,"

-

Thanks for reading.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.