Chapter Eleven - Confessions Unravel in the Night

Start from the beginning

Kuzuha hangs up and turns his attention to Lisa. She looks shaken and clings to Kuzuha's arm. Kuzuha led Lisa to her room and was about to leave when Lisa wouldn't let go of his arm.

"I-I don't want to be alone, Kuzu-kun." Lisa stuttered,

Kuzuha understands her fear and decides to comfort her. "It's okay, little bug. Come with me,"

Kuzuha leads Lisa into his room. Once they reach the front door, he asks her to wait at the entrance while he takes a moment to clean up his messy room. Lisa nods and stands near the door.

As Lisa waits, a whirlwind of emotions overtakes her - fear, peace, sadness, joy, anger, emptiness, hope, and despair. It's all too much to handle.

Kuzuha returns, noticing Lisa's silent tears. She tries to wipe them away, but they keep flowing. Without hesitation, Kuzuha squats down and pulls Lisa into a comforting hug. He places his hands on her head and back, offering solace.

Lisa breaks into sobs, crying even harder, but in Kuzuha's embrace, it's as if the weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders. She forgets everything else at that moment.

As Lisa finally begins to calm down, the clock strikes midnight, marking a new day. Lisa feels guilty for causing trouble for Kuzuha.

"I'm so sorry, Kuzu-kun. You had to leave your friends for me," Lisa said tearfully.

Kuzuha brushes away her apology with a gentle smile. "Little bug, it's only natural. I'd do anything to make sure you're safe. I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to you,"

Lisa is touched by his words, and she's grateful for his unwavering support. Kuzuha then makes a request.

Kuzuha looks at her with gentle eyes, "But, little bug, there's something I want you to understand. Can we talk about it in my room? It's not something we can discuss here at the entrance."

Lisa agrees, and Kuzuha leads her into his room, where they continue their conversation. The soft glow of the bedside lamp illuminates the room as Kuzuha and Lisa sit side by side on his bed. There's an undeniable tension in the air as Kuzuha summons the courage to express his feelings.

Kuzuha exhaled nervously, "Lisa, there's something I've wanted to tell you for a long time."

Lisa turns to face him, her curiosity piqued. "What is it, Kuzu-kun?"

Kuzuha's cheeks flush with a deep shade of red, and he stammers as he begins to speak. "I've always been watching you, Lisa. From the very first time I saw you in that restaurant, I knew there was something special about you. I've... I've always been in love with you."

Lisa's eyes widen in surprise. She knew that Kuzuha wasn't kidding, especially when he called her by her name and not his nickname for her. She's taken aback by Kuzuha's confession, her heart beating faster.

"Kuzuha, I... I had no idea." Lisa stammered.

Kuzuha's embarrassment is palpable as he continues.

"Please, don't stare like that. I'm not used to talking about my feelings like this." He fumbled. "My flirts towards you might have seemed like jokes, but they were all real. I never thought of our relationship as just a showmance; to me, it's always been real."

Lisa's conflicted emotions show on her face. She recalls the drama and complications of her brothers' feelings for her two years ago, especially her own feelings for Natsume. She finds it painful to reject Kuzuha, who has been a steadfast presence by her side through thick and thin.

Kuzuha, noticing Lisa's internal struggle, reaches out and gently takes her hand. "Lisa, I don't mind how you feel. I just wanted you to know that I don't see you as a burden. I love you to the point where I would do anything for you, and I wouldn't complain."

Lisa's eyes well up with tears, touched by Kuzuha's sincerity and understanding. She wipes away a tear that escapes her eye.

"Thank you, Kuzuha. I... I appreciate your honesty." Lisa sniffled.

Kuzuha's expression softens, and he can't help but smile, his gaze filled with affection. "I'm glad to hear that, little bug."

His smile is so gentle that it almost overwhelms Lisa. She's on the verge of tears again, but Kuzuha stops her, half-jokingly.

"Careful, little bug. You might make me catch a cold if you keep pouring tears onto my shirt. It's already changed colours!"

Lisa can't hold back a small laugh, and the tension in the room begins to ease. Without a word, they both lie down on the bed, facing each other.

Kuzuha and Lisa cuddle close, their hearts slowly finding solace in each other's presence. In the quiet of the night, they share a moment of warmth and comfort, their connection growing stronger with each passing second.

- - - - - THE NEXT DAY - - - - -

The morning sun casts a warm glow on the cosy kitchen of Sunrise Residence. Lisa returns home after her hectic schedule and walks into the kitchen, hoping for a moment of peace. However, her tranquillity is shattered when she unexpectedly runs into Subaru, who is half-naked and appears to have just finished his training.

Both Lisa and Subaru are taken aback, opening the door at the same time, and their eyes meet in surprise. Subaru, ever the gentleman, takes a step back and awkwardly attempts to cover himself.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't expect anyone to come in," Subaru said shyly.

Lisa, flustered by the encounter, stumbles over her words as she responds.

"N-no, it's okay. I didn't expect to find you here either," Lisa said nervously.

Before Subaru heads off to the bathroom, he changes the topic, his curiosity getting the best of him.

"By the way, did something happen last night? I noticed that you didn't come back with Ema and Yusuke, and your eyes seemed a bit swollen like you'd been crying." Subaru pointed out.

Lisa hesitates, unsure of how much to reveal. But Subaru, perceptive as ever, reassures her that she doesn't have to explain everything.

"You don't have to force it, Lisa. I just want to know if it had anything to do with Yusuke and Ema." Subaru smiled kindly.

Lisa shakes her head, grateful for Subaru's understanding, and proceeds to explain the events of the previous night. How Yusuke defended her from Chiaki. Subaru's face lights up with a gentle smile as he listens intently. It's a smile that mirrors Yusuke's expression when they first shared a brother-sister moment—a smile that conveys genuine care and concern.

"I'm glad to hear that, Lisa." Subaru smiled.

Lisa is surprised by Subaru's reaction, expecting him to be more protective or cautious. His smile, however, reassures her that he values her happiness above all else. It's a heartwarming realization.

"Is Yusuke okay, though? I mean, he didn't get hurt, did he?" Subaru asked curiously.

Lisa replied with relief in her voice.

"No, he's fine. Thankfully, it didn't escalate into a fight." Lisa reassured.

Subaru chuckles, clearly impressed by Yusuke's self-control.

"Well, for once, it seems like Yusuke managed to keep his temper in check. That's quite an accomplishment," Subaru laughed.

Subaru's tone turns more serious as he places a hand on Lisa's shoulder, a sign of his genuine concern.

"Lisa, if there's ever anything I can do to help or support you, please don't hesitate to let me know. I care for you as a brother, even if it may not seem like it sometimes. Our moments together, like on my birthday, mean a lot to me. Remember that I'll be happy if I can be of any assistance to you," Subaru said earnestly.

Subaru's words touch Lisa's heart, and she watches him head toward the bathroom with a newfound appreciation. She reflects on the striking similarity between Subaru and Yusuke's actions and words—both genuinely caring for her well-being.

Lisa stands in the hallway for a moment after Subaru disappears into the bathroom, feeling the warmth of her newfound family bonds and the support of her loving brothers, who may be more alike than she ever realized.