Finishing The Job

Jessica Cruz was woken up suddenly when she felt a hand over her mouth. She screamed as she quickly punched up at the man up above. He quickly caught her first and shook his head. "Is that any way to treat an old friend?" The killer asked right before Jessica bit his palm. He held in the scream he almost let out before quickly punching her in the face.

Jess cried out in pain, causing her to stop biting the man before he quickly pulled her out of bed and threw her to the ground. She took little notice of the little her tank top and underwear which slept in covered. She screamed in pain as her frail body hit the ground. "P-please!" she begged as she tried to back away only to find a gun now pointed at her.

"Sorry sweetheart" he motioned for Jess to stand up so she slowly did as he wanted, trembling as she did. The image of this man killing Sky ran through her head over and over as she looked at him. "Best I can do is give you a bit more time"

Jess watched, still trembling, as the killer walked over to her bedside table, keeping the gun aimed at her stomach. He picked up the girls phone. "Password" he demanded.

Jess quickly blurted it out, unable to contain her fear. "Three five eight zero"

The killer put in the code before opening Jess' texts and scrolling until he found who he was looking for. "There he is" he smirked as he clicked on the name before reading as he typed. "Need help. Please come"

"No!" Jess quickly blurted out only for the man to quickly hold the gun higher so as to remind her of it. She collapsed to the ground, landing on her butt, no longer able to support herself. "P-please don't!" She cried, tears streaming out of her eyes faster than they had since she was in the hospital, still processing what had happened more than she had since.

"What's the matter?" The killer asked with a smirk as he slid Jess' phone into his pocket. "Don't want the chance to say goodbye?"

—————————————————————

After (y/n) had gotten the text it had taken him a while to build up the courage but after texting back and confirming this couldn't wait he finally left his place.

The walk to Jessica's was a short one but it was also torture. While Portland wasn't the worst place to live the boy still felt the entire time like he was being watched, his watched just waiting for the right moment to attack him.

Luckily the boys instincts were proven wrong when he arrived at Jess' building unharmed.

(Y/n) entered the elevator and exited it a few moments later when it arrived at Jessica's floor. He pulled his pair of the girls keys from his pocket as he walked to her door. "Jess? I'm coming in!" He called and frowned as he received no response. He unlocked the door.

Upon opening the door he was met with nothing. He closed the door and walked deeper into the apartment towards Jess' room. He opened the door and suddenly felt sick. He wasn't able to move as he played back the scene of one of his friends being killed by the man holding Jessica up.

"Well, well! Looks like this little reunion is complete... well as complete as we can make it" the killer spoke with a sick smirk. One of his hands had up till this point been covering Jessica's mouth but had since moved to her waist so as to hold her still better. His other hand was on the gun which was pointed directly at (y/n).

"Run" Jess whispered, finding it hard to even speak now as she stared at the boy who she was now certain would also die.

(Y/n) stood still, not able to move, as he stared at the gun. "I-" he tried to figure out what to say, nothing he could say would possibly help in this situation. "I'll give you everything in my wallet and let you kill me if you'll let her go"

"Ah, a selfless guy aren't you?" The killer asked as he smirked down at Jess who had silently resumed her crying. "But sadly no. That's not enough to buy your girlfriends safety"

(Y/n)'s eyes widened as he watched the man turn the gun and press it against the side of Jess' head. "You killed my partner. I'm going to enjoy making you watch as I kill yours"

The boy was to busy considering his options to point out that he and Jessica weren't a couple. He watched as Jess' silent crying sped up, there was absolutely nothing he could do here, even if he jumped at the man he'd get his shot off and blow Jessica's brains out.

"I-" (y/n) did the one thing he could think of, the one sensible idea that could even possibly save Jessica. He yelled. "SUPERMAN!" It was desperate but he didn't doubt the man of steel was the only one who may make it to their side of the country in time and still possibly be able to save Jess.

The killers eyes went wide, he realized that if Superman was on earth and had heard that he'd only have a few seconds. He quickly clicked off the safety of his gun, Jess' crying was no longer silent at this point. "P-please... don't" she begged as he went to pull the trigger.

At that moment something flew through the window and the killer gasped and he dropped his gun as he was hit in the back.

(Y/n) watched wide eyed as something flew directly through the killers chest. The dead killer fell to the floor. Jessica dropped with him, her body smushed underneath his.

"Jess!" (Y/n) quickly found himself able to move again and he ran over to her before pulling the killers body off of her. He quickly fell to his knees and pulled Jess into a hug as she loudly cried into his chest.

(Y/n) held her for a while until she stopped crying. Evidently Superman wasn't coming. "Are- you're not hurt are you?" Jess shook her head as she sniffled. They broke the hug and Jess wiped her remaining tears away, leaving a bit of blood on her face. "What-" (y/n) started before looking down at Jess' hand.

Jess quickly looked down as well as she noticed the boys confusion. On one of her fingers rested a primarily yellow ring, covered in blood that must have accumulated on it as it ripped through the chest of the killer. "I- what-"

Jess screamed in pain as she fell backwards and away from the boy. He tried and failed to figure out what was wrong as she writhed in agony on the floor.

The ring glowed a bright yellow, burning off the remaining blood. Jess continued to scream and cry as she felt her worst fears all come up at once, it felt almost as if the ring was feeding on them.

Almost as suddenly as it had begun it was over. The ring stopped glowing and Jess gasped as the pain, both physical and emotional, stopped. "Jess! What-"

"Jessica Cruz" an ominous voice spoke, seemingly from the ring that was now on her finger. She quickly tried and failed to take it off as she got back up to her knees. "You have great fear. You have been chosen to spread that fear" as if it could sense her thoughts it spoke again before either of the others could. "you have little choice in the matter"

Word count: 1327

(Kinda hurts not to use the Ring of Volthoom but I don't feel like dealing with other dimensions right now. Also I'm taking some creative liberties with the yellow lantern rings)