21. Hurt people, hurt people.

Start from the beginning

I called her name out, putting my ear to the door, "Maggie?"

"I'm here sunshine," she assured, her voice muffled.

"I don't wanna talk to you through a door," I pout. It felt silly like I was talking to a wall. Like, literally. I sat down and placed my cheek on the door. It was a bit warm because Beth's back had just been leaning on it. I wish I could see her face. It's been days, I couldn't take any more of this.

"I know, honey. But you'll have to push through it, I don't want you sick. I think Lizzie just caught it." Maggie explained, in a relaxed voice. My eyes widen after hearing Lizzie's name. Poor Mika, she must be scared.

"I know," I mumbled, picking at my fingers. "How's Caleb and Glenn?"

"They're ok. Caleb is still pretty upset about Karen. Glenn had just gone into quarantine, too." Yet again, my eyes were widened.

"Glenn is sick?"

"Yeah, but he'll be ok. Don't worry," The virus was scary. Patrick died from it as quickly as maybe 12 hours. I was worried for both Glenn and Lizzie. I had also forgotten Karen had taken Caleb in when he showed up at Woodbury. He had a reason to be upset. "How about you, Are you okay in there?"

"I'm okay, just bored. I wanna see you."

"As soon as everything is safe again, I promise. It won't be like this forever."

"It feels like it," I rolled my eyes, I did not want to be here at all. I missed running outside and playing soccer. Carl and Ev we're growing out of playing with me. Now they'd just read comics together or sneak around to explore. They don't invite me because they think I'm too young, but I'm not. I know how to protect myself and I find that stuff interesting too. I fidgeted with my rocket, quietly humming.

Silence passed through for a while, "Maggie?" I checked if she was still there.

"Still here," she replied, I felt relieved. Her voice soothed me. "You ok?"

"Mhm. Uhm, has anyone else died?"

"No. Luckily, no. But Daryl n' a few others are goin' out for medicine. There's a positive thought," Maggie informed. She didn't say anything, but I know she was worried. I just know it. I had no other things to say.

"Cool," my hand covered my mouth. Cool? What did I mean by cool?

"Alright, I'll be goin' now. Let Beth know if you need anything," I heard her footsteps departing. I frowned. I had nothing to say but I wish she stayed. Only because I felt a bit safer when she was near me. I should've just opened the door and started talking to her, but I forgot about that idea. Maybe if I had a time machine.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back to before the apocalypse. I wouldn't dress all up when my dad would stand me up, and I would be playing soccer with my friend. She lived one floor down from me, in my mom's house. I liked her family, they'd invite us to dinner a lot. And if I had a time machine, I think I'd hug my mom a little bit tighter and a little bit longer.

"Hey, scar girl!" Aiden called out, snapping me out of my trance. Gosh, I could go years without hearing his voice.

"What do you want," I roll my eyes. I immediately regretted replying, I was supposed to just ignore him.