Chapter 4

Disa eyed her reflection in the large mirror before her, up, then down and then up again. The chambermaid had left the room insisting on getting some shoe polish, and so she was alone in the small dressing chamber. She had never worn such expensive clothing. There was nothing luxurious about them in appearance as they were solely made to be practical, but the quality of every little detail told of flawless workmanship. The long, dark brown leather coat was hooded and lined with fine fox fur, warm and sturdy enough to withstand wind and cold alike. To protect her torso she had been clad in a light brown leather corset with lacing in the front and a regular long-sleeved white linen blouse to wear underneath. Given that she would spend most time on horseback she wore crème-coloured breeches that fit quite snugly around her legs, and a pair of knee-high boots that fit her so perfectly that it put all other footwear she had ever worn before to shame. Staring at her image, she found herself to look quite appealing, appealing enough to have her poor mind focus on something other than her anxious anticipation of what the upcoming month would have in store for her.

Apparently, it would take a fortnight to reach the abandoned capital of The Lands Between, and then another to get back home again... Granted that things would go somewhat smoothly. She had been strictly informed that the act of breaking the curse had to be handled by the knight herself, and that Disa should not even be present during this ritual, but instead await her return by the nearest Grace. To secure the physician's safety, she would hold the knight's spirit steed during this time, assuring a safe way of escaping would the knight not come back. A spirit steed would always find its way home, and could outrun most foes with ease. How unlucky it was that they were of such rarity that only the finest knights and maiden could ride them, and so Disa would have to make do with a regular horse during the rest of the journey. She had made acquaintances with the steed she had been assigned, or rather, judging from his proud, dignified demeanor, she had been assigned to. Having carried numerous knights through numerous battles he was now retired, but well up for such a simple task as escorting someone halfway across the Lands Between. He was a sturdy gentleman, his neatly groomed coat a light blonde. Above his stall hung a wooden plaque with his name engraved: Peanut. A most fitting name for a horse of such nobility.

The physician was pulled back to reality by a quick, loud knock at the door. Finding this demeanor improbable for the modest maid, she was not at all surprised to see that it was prince Barden himself that had entered the chamber. 'Miss Fieldstream! Very good, very good indeed', he exclaimed as he observed the physician's attire. 'That will do just fine.' 'Thank you, my Lord', she answered politely. Somehow, it made her uneasy to meet Barden at this point, as she had this notion that anything he might bring up would complicate the situation even further. 'You certainly look up to the task', he added, nodding approvingly as he paced restlessly through the small room. 'I just... Wanted to wish you a good journey, personally.' There had to be something else. Disa was sure of it. 'Oh, and, of course... There's one more thing.' There it was. The prince brought out a letter from the inner pocket of his robes. It was neatly folded and sealed with the royal signet. 'This is for Linnae.' Disa looked at the letter, quite dumbfounded. 'Oh, I know, I know. Of course I should give it directly to her, not you. Please, forgive my rudeness. It's just that, erhm, as you already know, she's not... accessible enough right now. I want her to read this before she returns home. Or rather, while she's with you. Because if I gave it to her now, I'm not sure we could keep her on the right track. Do you understand what I mean?' Disa shook her head. 'I'm afraid I really don't, my Lord. Will this letter put me in danger?' 'No, no!' The prince waved his hand in front of him to completely dismiss any interpretations that made his reasoning sound reckless. 'You are not in any danger. You see, it...' he paused, rubbing his hands together in silence for a few moments, as if conferring with himself about how to proceed. 'Let's go with this!' He suddenly explained, startling the physician. 'Take the letter with you. If you get friendly with her and you feel comfortable with it, give her the letter and... talk it out, hmm? After her, well, current status has been revoked would be best. Yes.' Disa hoped that her disbelief wasn't too clearly visible as she reluctantly accepted the letter. 'The letter contains some... Intelligence concerning Linnae's past. I just found out myself. It should be nothing terribly unexpected, but of course, as her parents were brutally murdered, it might cause some... Turbulent feelings. Which you handle expertly! That is why I'm asking you.' 'I understand, but... Would it not be best to wait until our return? Wouldn't my Lord want to be by her side if she-' She was cut off, not by words but by the sheer look in Barden's eyes. Half incomprehension, half disapproval. Oh. Oh. Not only had Disa argued against the prince's reasoning, she had assumed that his dear Linnae's emotions was something he felt need to concern himself with. She did best to watch her mouth. 'I... Please forgive me, my Lord. I just- ... No. Of course I will give her the letter, with well deliberated timing.' The prince's usual extroverted demeanor was eradicated as he handed her the letter. Disa swallowed dryly. 'Try to find out where she got that weapon she's wielding.' He eventually said plainly. 'I beg your pardon?' The prince did not repeat himself, done with the physician's nuisance.