Chapter 3

Disclaimer: this chapter contains original concepts and locations.

'... You'll be sure to understand what a capable woman she is, Disa.' The prince's voice seemed far away, muddled as if he was speaking to her from beneath the surface, although walking right beside her through the generously illuminated corridor. 'As soon as the curse is lifted, I don't know if I could ever let her go again... If you understand what I'm saying. Not that I should talk about such matters, yet here I am running my mouth! Hah!' '...Huh?' Disa was jerked from her anxious mulling, in her mind she was already far away in the Lands, struggling for her life. 'Oh, I... Forgive me, my lord, I understand what you mean. That's lovely.' The prince seemed content. 'Didn't he say that he regarded her as a sister just a moment ago?' As if that would be of any significance to aristocracy. Then again, they didn't share blood, rendering what she assumed prince Barden's wish to be completely adequate. However, it sure added nicely to the already crushing pressure the physician was under. Journeying to the far ends of The Lands Between to assist a prince's sweetheart in relieving herself from a malignant curse. Nothing could be simpler.

'Oh, there she is, now.' They halted, too far away for Disa to get a proper look at the figure sitting on the wooden bench attached to the long side of the hallway's walls. 'She knows who you are and what your profession is. I haven't promised her anything, of course. Go and introduce yourself.' And then the prince left, just like that. Disa took a deep breath. This was nothing. She had treated people in states of desperate panic, unimaginable agony, rage... Frenzy. This was the first time, however, where the stakes were so frightfully high. Nevertheless, she approached the other woman.

Before an introduction could be made, Disa had to take a moment to collect the composure lost in the presence of the knight named Linnae. Firstly, there was an undeniably powerful semblance to her that had the physician, for but a brief moment, lose her professional poise. She did believe strongly in honest demeanours, but although she hadn't intended on appearing unnecessarily haughty, it wouldn't be very proper to present herself with an dumb stare.

Secondly, she was gorgeous. It was more than rare for Disa to swoon over another, especially someone she had just met and had yet to talk to, but... Regarding men and women alike, the physician had always liked those who had a steady frame and a natural, genuine appearance, free from cosmetics and embellishments. This knight was tall for a woman, sturdily built and probably somewhere in her mid twenties, a few years younger than Disa herself, if she would guess. Her short, straw blond hair was combed back to reveal a face of strong, balanced features. Her nose was especially characteristic and drew Disa's thoughts to a lioness, her lips were full and coloured a dusky rosewood, her bronzed skin just as weather-beaten as you would expect from a runaway knight. Her gloved hands were large and firm, and although she was not in armour her clothing was robust, practical and undoubtedly of the finest quality. The royal family must have spoiled her rotten upon her return.

On second thought, handsome was the word that did her proper justice. She would likely not appear as such to everyone, especially to those who fancied ladies of traditional beauty, but she was so ridiculously in line with the physician's preferences that it made her heart skip a beat. How embarrassing. What really intrigued her, however, was the knight's eyes. They were a warm hazel, sophisticated and deep in colour, yet their unfocused gaze indicated... Nothing.

'Good morning.' As Disa sat down beside her, she had expected a glare if anything at all, so she was quite perplexed as the other woman took her by the hand and bent her neck to respectfully greet her. 'Good morning. Miss Fieldstream.' Her voice was deep and womanly, albeit the manner of which she spoke sounded oddly jaded. At least she was able to exchange formalities. 'It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Regal. I have been summoned by Prince Barden concerning a request in which he wishes for me to assist you.' 'Yes.' Silence. 'Um... So, I assume the prince has explained to you who I am at what I do.' 'Yes.' Okay, so she was not going to answer to anything else than the exact thing she had been asked. That was clear. Disa put one hand on top of the other in her lap. 'Miss Regal, before anything else, let's see if we are on the same page. I understand you've been unfortunately cursed by the Three Fingers, and that you are traveling to the Lands Between to find a certain place that can cure you. Is that right?' She needed to be straightforward and effective to get anywhere with this woman. 'Yes.' 'I see. Prince Barden is of the opinion that you need me, or someone like me to come with you to make sure you don't deviate from your goal. Why is that?' Now, she wouldn't be able to get away with a simple 'yes' or 'no.' The knight didn't move a muscle. 'I won't accept a maiden but I need to keep my morals up.' Oh, so she could talk. 'Would you agree with that?' A poorly worded question, but the other woman surprised her anew. '... I need to set things right. I have one chance. The Queen assigned Prince Barden to decide the course of action... And I am agreeing with it. I'm lucky to be given an opportunity.' Her voice gave away no hint of emotion, she was just stating facts. And regardless of her surname, she was probably right about her luck. No matter how skilful, no Finger Knight could ever exceed kingship. Being brought up in the castle alongside the youngest prince was more likely to be what had ultimately earned her the name Regal rather than her accomplishment as a knight. Disa decided to change the direction of the conversation. Trying to pry deeper into any particular subject at this point would be like diving into a basin sealed shut by bricks.