Ch. 9: Beverly Hills

Start from the beginning

My face fell, "What do you mean?"

"Shaadi karli usse aakhir. Ab kya? Hamare darmiyaan toh ab kuch bhi nahin."
(You married her at last. Now what? There's nothing left between us)

"Pyaar toh main sirf tumse hi karta hoon, Sana," I stepped closer to her, "Aisey mat kaho. Maine jo bhi kiya, hamare liye kiya. Main yeh shaadi nahin karna chahta tha. Maine majbooran yeh faisla liya. Hamare khaatir."
(I only love you, Sana. Don't talk like that. Whatever I did, I did it for us. I didn't want to get married. I took this decision out of obligation. For us)

"Lekin tum toh bewafa nikle."
(But you turned out to be a cheater)

I shook my head despairingly, "Nahin."
(No)

"Haan. Dekho na, pehle kehte the ke kabhi kisi se shaadi nahin karoge, lekin ab tum nikkah ke do din baad milne aaye ho. Ab woh priority legi na?" She turned around, folding her arms.
(Yes. Look, you used to say you would never get married, but now you have come to meet me two days after getting married. Now she's going to take priority, isn't it?)

"Tumse nazre mila nahin paonga, uske darr se main nahin aaya. Ab mujhse raha nahin gaya," I walked over and stood in front of her, "Haan, ab biwi hai woh meri. Zimmedari hai. Lekin tumhari jagah koi nahin le sakti."
(I didn't come because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to meet eyes with you. Now I couldn't help myself. Yes, she's my wife now. My responsibility. But no one can take your place.)

"Biwi," she repeated sadly with a whisper, lowering her gaze.
(Wife)

"Sana-"

"Tumne kaise usse shaadi karli? Ek baar bhi khayal nahin aayi meri?"
(How could you marry her? Didn't you think of me even once?)

"Ek baar nahin, sau baar, Sana," I told her seriously, "Har pal, har lamha, har ek saans ke saath tumhari khayal aati hai mujhe. Aur har dhadkan ke saath, mera guilt mujh par bojh bante ja raha hai." My eyes watered, "Lekin tum? Yeh naubaat hi nahin aata agar tum mujhe chhod kar nahin jaati toh."
(Not once, but 100 times, Sana. Every second, every moment, with every breath of mine I think of you. And with every heartbeat, my guilt is becoming a burden on me. But you? Things wouldn't have come to this had you not left me)

Her hazel orbs flooded, "Main nahin chahti thi. Lekin ab kya kar sakte hai? Maazi ko wapas nahin la sakte." She sniffled, "Bohat dair ho chuki hai. Mujhe jaana hoga. Musa mere intezaar kar rahe honge."
(I didn't want to. But what can we do now? We can't bring the past back. It's very late now. I have to go. Musa must be waiting for me)

"Sana!" I called hopelessly, watching as she left, "Sana!"

Alizey's P.O.V.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

It was morning already. Funny, isn't it? The day drags on, feeling like it's never-ending, but then the night slips away like sand between your fingers when you're tired, physically and mentally, and simply just want to sleep.

I hadn't even realized when I'd fallen asleep. I was trying to wait for Fawad, but I'd fallen prey to slumber. I glanced over my shoulder, only to do a double take. He hadn't come home.

I quickly looked over at the table and found the house keys were still gone.

He truly was out all night.

What happened? Was he okay?! He was gone out two nights ago too and returned in the morning. That was our first night, so I kind of understand if he wasn't used to it and wanted time to himself. But he was here all Saturday night. This time he told me before leaving. He said he was going to go out to smoke, which implied he was going to come back. Then? Where was he? What if something happened to him.