"We should probably leave now so that Stefano doesn't get even more pissed. Sorry for leaving you guys."

"It's fine. I can stay with Adrian while both of you deal with your... situation."

"Thanks, Sierra, you're the best."

When Adrian and I were left in the room, we talked about everything that happened in the past few weeks.

"I take it that you're aware... about us being in the mafia?"

"Yeah, I kind of suspected it. I think being abducted by the Russians was the final nail in the coffin though."

"Wait, what?" Shit, I forgot that Adrian didn't know about what happened a few days ago.

"Uh, let's just say that Jace was a traitor and he turned me over to the Russians."

"Uh-huh, and what happened next?"

"Well, apparently Stefano's ex-girlfriend was actually the daughter of some guy called Ivanov. I think he used to be the leader of the Russian Mafia. However, she killed him a few months ago and secretly took over as the leader."

"And then...?"

"She put me in a cell with our father, who's still alive, and then there was some kind of mafia war. Long story short, she's dead."

"Wait, our father's still alive? I mean... carry on. What's happening now?"

"Stefano is working to acquire the Russian Mafia since they're left without a leader."

"That's... that's great," Adrian sighed. "Anyways, tell me about yourself. How have you been?"

"Well, I got shot, but I went to the hospital, and everything's okay now."

"Why are you so nonchalant about that? When I first got shot, I was screaming bloody murder."

"I don't even know at this point. Maybe it's because I wasn't shot in a fatal area. Also, I was only unconscious for a little bit. My injury wasn't as severe as yours."

"That doesn't make you anymore okay, and you don't have to pretend that you're fine. It's okay not to be okay."

"But I really am okay! I'm just a bit shaken up by everything that happened," I gulped as I felt my eyes betraying me.

"The tears forming in your eyes suggest otherwise."

"Goddammit," I muttered while wiping away my tears. Why did I have to be so emotional? Out of all times and places, I had to cry here?

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No, and why are you bothering to ask me about how I'm doing? You're the one confined to that bed. I should be asking about how you're doing."

"It's because I care about you. I know that you've had a hard life, and you never had the chance to vent about your struggles or to talk about what's been bothering you."

"But, I have no reason to complain now. After all, I'm no longer with my mother, and I've been granted the type of lifestyle that millions of people could only dream about. I'll never have to worry about money, food security, or shelter ever again! If I complain about my problems, that'll just make me seem ungrateful for what I have now."

"That doesn't make your problems any less valid, especially when they stem from your old life."

"But-

"Sierra, you're a kind, generous, and lovely person. You didn't deserve to go through whatever happened from your old life. You deserve to be happy."

After hearing Adrian's kind words, I started sobbing. What the fuck was wrong with me? Adrian was practically complimenting me, yet I responded to his affectionate language with tears?