The Desert Roadways

"Good morning, today, January 16th, 2037, marks the 21st year of the UAM-Coalition War. We will begin today's program with our special report on the current state of the war,"

"Driver! Turn that shit off!" A man with a Southern accent shouted atop the gunner turret. The driver obeyed, reaching for the radio's knob before his hand was swiftly swatted away.

"Don't, last thing I need is Charles talking for hours. Leave the radio," the man sitting next to him said in a commanding voice. He obliged, returning his hand to the steering wheel. Undisturbed, the radio station anchor continued.

"Due to their strength, ferocity, and luck, they have quickly out-competed even the strongest armies and have established a worldwide foothold. The Australians remain knee-deep in battle. The Outback proved to be efficient at hindering enemy progress and will hopefully delay them until a newly promised shipment of supplies arrives. 

The Coalition is currently scrambling to assemble evacuation crews after New Zealand has been declared lost and is now considered occupied Anthro territory..." "Sub-Saharan Africa has been almost completely captured by the UAM. Nouakchott has ceased communication and Mauritania is to be declared an Anthro-occupied zone in the following days," 

they all sighed. Mauritania's fall will likely open another front. Adding salt to injury, they were stationed just over an hour from the border where all hell would break loose if the Anthros decided to invade Algeria.

Libya was forcibly split into two separate states allowing it to make a buffer zone. As beneficial as it was for the rest of the world, the Anthro military could push deeper into Algerian soil although their efforts had been somewhat contained thanks to the two countries' efforts. Niger and Mali only recently fell under the Anthros and resistance groups have managed to hold back any attempt to enter the Sahara, giving them some breathing room.

Mauritania's capture was gut-wrenching for them. Another front would stretch the already limited, ill-equipped, and tired soldiers further. Tindouf, despite its size, was already mostly abandoned. The desert hadn't been merciful to it either, only military and key civilian infrastructure remaining somewhat untouched due to the military's maintenance efforts.

"The Coalition and its allies are scrambling for ways to contain the situation... talks about retreating to Europe and ceasing support for Africa have reportedly taken place,"

The already grim atmosphere inside the MRAV had worsened. The war had already taken a toll on them all, and all of their efforts felt useless. They were all fighting in a war that was seemingly already lost. No matter how much they tried, every offensive and front they opened would backlash, leaving only losses for the humans.

"Fucking hell... how much time till we get back?" A British man asked, to which the commander answered, "Just under an hour, be patient," 

"Current census puts the global human population at under four billion, and Coalition leader, Luther Parker has been considering classifying the human race as an endangered species and possibly surrendering if the situation would not change or stabilize in the coming months..." 

Tired of hearing all the pessimistic news, all the men inside the vehicle were starting to ask the driver to shut the radio. He didn't object to it, himself wanting to cut it out, the hand-swatter also seemed to be in accord with the whole. 

The silence was now deafening. It worked hand in hand with the now silenced radio who had brought back the terrible world into their minds, leaving it to simmer in their heads as they had nothing else to do.