Chapter 9: qualified

Beginne am Anfang

"What grade are you in?" she asked, her voice gentle yet probing.

My heart raced as I bit my bottom lip, unsure of how to respond. The truth was painful, a reminder of the hardships I had faced.

I had dropped out of school when I was in 5th grade, forced to shoulder the weight of responsibility after my mother passed away.

My younger sister needed me, and education took a backseat to survival.

"Felix, I'm sorry, but he just isn't qualified," the woman said, her eyes flickering back to Felix, who was still watching me intently.

Anger and frustration welled up inside me, my fists clenched tightly at my sides. I had known deep down that this would happen, that my lack of formal education would forever hinder my chances in life.

At 16 years old, with only a 5th-grade education
Meaning my life is fucked

"That's a shame," Felix sighed, his voice heavy with disappointment.

"I know," the woman agreed, her tone filled with resignation.

"That your mother will die," Felix continued, his words cutting through the air like a sharp blade. The woman's eyes widened in shock, her breath catching in her throat.

"What-" She gasped, her voice barely a whisper.

"I realize your mother isn't qualified to live" Felix stated, his voice dripping with disdain. "She's overweight and getting old. Frankly, I believe it would be better for the planet if she were to pass away. Let the bitch die."

The woman recoiled her body tense with fear. She had never seen this side of Felix before, and it terrified her.
"Or," Felix leaned in closer, his eyes burning with intensity,

"you can find a way to put him in school. I don't give a fuck if you have to lie about every detail on that enrollment form. I couldn't give a shit if you have to pretend to be his parent. Just put him in school and make him a junior."

Felix's words hung in the air, a menacing threat that sent shivers down the woman's spine.

She was paralyzed with shock, unsure of how to respond to this sudden display of cruelty and power.
She nods, her hands trembling with fear as she begins typing on the keyboard.

I steal a glance at Felix, and his expression reveals a mischievous glimmer in his eyes.

He's always full of surprises, pushing the boundaries of what seems impossible.

A few minutes later, the printer whirs to life, and a paper emerges from its depths.

She takes it in her shaking hands and passes it to me. It's my school schedule. I can hardly believe it. I'm actually going to school.

This is a rare occurrence for me, as I usually spend my days toiling away at work.

But today, I'm here, in a place where normal kids spend their time.

Felix comes up behind me, leaning in to examine the paper. A smile tugs at the corners of his lips as his eyes meet mine.

"We have the same first period. Let's go," he says, his voice filled with excitement. I follow closely behind him, my heart pounding with a mix of anticipation and trepidation.

As we enter the classroom, I can't help but marvel at the sight before me. The students' faces light up at the sight of Felix, their gazes filled with admiration. But as they glance at me, their smiles fade.

Perhaps it's because of my unconventional attire, or maybe it's because I'm the new kid. Either way, their eyes pass over me, disregarding my presence.

I quickly find an empty desk and take a seat, my eyes darting around the room, taking in the various outfits and expressions worn by my fellow classmates.

Each one seems to belong effortlessly to this world.
I observe intently as the teacher stands at the front of the classroom, passionately delivering a lesson.

The room buzzes with the sound of students engaged in animated discussions. I strain to catch snippets of their conversations, their voices blending into a symphony of murmurs.

Suddenly, my brows knit in confusion as I witness the bewildering sight of letters intertwining with numbers on the chalkboard. I can't help but mutter to myself,

"What the hell is this?"

Just then, the teacher's voice cuts through the noise, snapping me back to attention. "We have a quiz tomorrow, so be prepared for that," they announce, their words hanging in the air like a warning.

My gaze shifts towards Felix, a familiar face in the crowd.
For a brief moment, I can't help but recall the past, the painful memory of being shot in the eye.

But as I watch him closely, something seems different. He no longer exudes an aura of hostility; instead, he radiates a warmth and kindness that catches me off guard.

In that moment, a profound realization washes over me. It's not just Felix; it's everyone around me.

I can't help but let my eyes wander, studying each person in the room. And as I do, a question lingers in my mind: Do I truly know these people?