12

"My father was a human," Brandon tells us. 

Well, tells Keefe. I'm just outside the door, eavesdropping. 

"You really shouldn't do that," the cloaked guy says from the kitchen. "It's a private conversation."

"Yeah, but what if he says something that will make Keefe go all run away mode again?" I say, trying to back up my actions. 

"Well, fortunately for you," he starts, "He can't run away from here. And I feel like this will help Mr. Sencen come more at peace with himself."

I sigh in defeat and walk away from the door, giving them the privacy they need. "Still, I don't like this. Especially since I don't know who you even are. I feel like you guys expecting us to trust you guys without knowing who you really are is hypocritical." 

He goes silent for a bit. "I suppose you are right."

I watch as he throws back his hood to reveal his face. My breath catches in surprise. His black hair and two colored eyes contrast. He has a scar over his lip. He doesn't look much older than us as well. 

"What's your name?" I ask him. 

"Isaac," he tells me. 

"Last name?" 

"I don't know it," he says, "Both of my parents died when I was young and I was found on the street by a human street vendor, so I've always just been called Isaac."

Human street vendor? "Wait, so you've lived in the forbidden cities?"

He nods. "I lived in what they call the Middle East."

"How old are you?" I ask. 

He chuckles a little bit, two light dimples popping up on his cheeks. "If we are talking human age," he looks up in thought, "I think about 29 now."

I was right, not much older than us. "How did you meet Brandon?"

"I don't think you need that much information," he says, "But now you know who I am, so can we agree to some sort of mutual trust."

I bite my lip but nod in agreement. He puts up his hood and stands up. "You are a very smart girl, Ms. Foster. So I will trust that you can calm down Keefe? I can feel his emotions spiraling at the moment."

"You're an empath?" I ask surprised. Didn't he blast something during the fight?

"Yes, I am. What you probably saw in the cave was a design by our technopath, whom you will meet at a later time. For now, we must leave," he says. 

"Yes we must," Brandon says popping out of the door, Keefe following behind. 

His eyes are red and his hair is messy, so he's probably been drained from that conversation. 

"I can't promise we will be back by tomorrow, so just relax. Remember, we are keeping an eye out for your family and friends, so please do not fret," Isaac says. 

"Goodbye," Brandon says, mostly to Keefe. 

Keefe nods his head at him as they both walk out of the door, leaving us two alone. I walk over to him and his eyes watch my hand link with his. 

"How are you doing right now?" I ask him. 

"Not the best," he says honestly. "It's weird to think I've had a brother all these years who has gone through a lot of the same things I have."

"I can't imagine," I say sympathetically. "How is he though?"

A small smile pops up on his beautiful lips. "He's definitely my brother, only he could be on par with my pranks."

"He does pranks too?" I ask surprised. 

Keefe nods. "He used to prank our mother a lot, and when he lived with his dad in New York, he got in trouble at school a lot for his pranks, too."

I can't help but giggle. "Great Gulon Accident 2.0, which by the way, I still don't know that story."

He chuckles and raises his hand to tuck my hair behind my ear, which causes my face to burn up. "I'll tell you one day, Foster. Anything you wanna know. Ask me when this is over, and I'll tell you anything."

I can feel his hot breath on my face.  I swallow the lump in my throat and back up a little bit. He needs space. He's made this clear many times. I need to give it to him. 

"Well, I'm glad he's not a weirdo," I sigh in relief. 

Keefe's eyes trace the space between us before looking back up at me, his eyes sparkling. 

"How is the other guy?" he asks me. 

"His name's Isaac. He's nice, but super mysterious for some reason," I roll my eyes. 

"You know his name?" he says surprised. 

"Yeah, he showed me his face, too," I say.

"Oh," I notice something under Keefe's tone, but I don't bring it up. 

"Well, I think I'm going to get to bed," I say, feeling weird tension in the air. 

He nods. "Yeah, you should get some sleep."

I start to walk towards the stairs, but I turn around. "Keefe?"

He looks over at me. 

"Do you want to sleep with me?" I ask him. 

His face starts turning red then I realize how that sounded. I feel my face blow up. 

"Not like that! I meant you can sleep in my room as well. Like a sleepover," I say. "I know it must be hard sometimes, but it might be easier to sleep knowing I'm there."

I try to make excuses, but it makes it sound worse and worse. Keefe chuckles and tousles his hair. "It's fine, Foster. I'll be okay."

"Okay," I say, a little disappointed. 

"I don't think I would be able to hold myself back if I was in the same room as you," he says with heavy breaths. 

I can feel my stomach start to do weird turns. 

"Goodnight!" I say before running up the stairs, holding my hot face in my hands. 

As I close the bedroom door behind me, I lean against it. My heart is racing. 

"What a tease," I mutter.