1 - The Ocean is Our Home

Third Person POV:

The ocean was peaceful today. The coral reef was healthy, the fish were merrily swimming around, eating algae or just floating. The water was clean and cool as the sunlight from above reflected down to the sand.

Suddenly, something small darted through the coral reef, looping up and down, twirling.

Mike! Get back here young man! An older woman says, trying to swim after her son.

The boy ahead of her let out a laugh, darting through a circle of coral. His black tail swirled around as he darted under a rock shelf.

Micheal! Where did you go! Karen shouts telepathically, swimming around trying to find her son.

The young boy giggled from where he was hiding, a series of bubbles floating out of his mouth. His mother was trying to get him to go to the doctor for a check up, but Mike wasn't ready to leave yet.

Then, Karen looked down, and spotted her son's shining black tail. There you are, come here. Karen says, scooping Mike up into her arms, holding him tight as he tries to squeeze away. Goodness, six year olds are so energized.

Mom! Mom! Look at that piece of coral! Mike tells his mother excitedly pointing at the object he was talking about.

Karen just sighed. Yes, sweetheart, it's very pretty, but now we have to go to the doctor.

I don't want to go to the doctors! Mike complains as Karen begins to swim back to where they were. I wanna stay here!

Karen just sighed as her son continued to complain.

...

Mike, we're not supposed to be this close to the surface. A dark skinned boy says, nervously watching his friend swim farther. Speaking telepathically through each other's mind was something mermaids do so they can talk underwater.

The ravenette turns, his hair floating around his face. Don't worry, Lucas, we're not too far. He says kindly.

Don't be a scaredy cat, Lucas. A red haired girl says, crossing her arms as she swims next to Mike. We won't go above. It's just a cool view from there.

Lucas frowns. What if Mike's mom finds us here? We'll be in big trouble. He says, as he follows his friends up.

Mom doesn't even come this far. Mike says, doing a twirl so he avoids hitting a school of fish.

The gills on Lucas's neck flare in concern. Exactly! Which is why we shouldn't be up here! What if a human sees us? He nervously exclaims. Both Mike and Max roll their eyes simultaneously.

Bubbles slide out of Mike's mouth as he sighs. Well, you can leave if you want to.

Lucas groans. You're both gonna get me kicked off the basket-shell team! He says, but his golden tail flips and he propels himself to his friends.

Max grins. The trio continues upward, and once they got fifteen feet away from the surface, they stopped.

Oh my god, this is way too close, we're too close. Lucas worries.

Max rolls her eyes, but Mike was transfixed on the surface. He moves closer, before looking down at his friends. Woah, look at your tails in the sunlight! Mike says, pointing.

They both look, and make oooing noises. Lucas's regular golden tail was simmering like glitter, the fins on either side shining brightly. Max's blood red tail was bright and shiny, each scale giving off it's own light.