Akh'Aegis

There was a roar in the distance. The sound of snapping twigs echoed through the chilly night air. Someone was coming, and fast. Tala woke from sleep and howled, in turn waking the others up. They knew it was a warning, so they quickly packed up everything and readied their weapons. Whatever it was, there was more than one, and they were circling. The first attacker jumped onto Tala, and was quickly brought down by one swoop of her claws. The next strike was directed at Noll.  With the advancement of enemies, a skirmish had started.

        Damn it! They just keep coming! Snowfox thought.

        A loud roar came from the sky, and along with it a blast of white hot fire. Onvyr and Elfii used a protection spell, but was cast sloppily. The force field barely outlasted the blast of fire. They looked around the area, but only saw smoldering piles of ash. With a loud boom and a puff of ash, a jet black dragon landed. Shadowmoon, who was roughly the size of a horse now, made a low growl that reverberated throughout the forest.

Who are you? Friend or foe? Shadowmoon told the dragon.

Oh, you don’t know? I am Ohanzee Nightfang. King of the dragons, and I have come to retrieve my prince. He said authoritatively.

“Well, no one was expecting that.” Tala remarked.

“barzûlegûr” Alverdus cursed.

I am not your son. I was found in the mountains by Snowfox. This is my family. Not you. Shadowmoon said assertively.

Now, now, don’t be rash. I have come to take you home. That’s where everything will be explained. said Ohanzee.

You can explain, right here. Right now. You are a poor excuse of a king.

Very well. Your egg was not meant to leave Dragon Palace. Your nursemaid ran off with you. She didn’t want you to become king. I think she was planning on overthrowing the monarchy, and establishing new rule to her daughter. Your mother was so upset, she went on a rampage. She ended up killing the nursemaid, and several others. You say that this elf here found you when you were hatching. Traditionally the first thing a hatchling sees automatically becomes its parents, but since you’re of royal descent, that rule does not apply.

No. I’m afraid not. If the king chooses then the hatchling is allowed to stay with whoever found it. That is the dragon’s code of conduct. Is it not? Snowfox interjected.

Are you the one who found the young prince?

That I am, your majesty. I took care of him. I protected him. I am his mother, by right. There is a bond that has been established between us. You are the only one is able to break it.

My son, what has she named you?

Shadowmoon. He said.

A fitting name for you. Do you wish to stay with her?

I do.

Snowfox do you wish to protect and care for the prince?

Yes. Snowfox said.

Then you have a mission to fulfill. You have an Akh’Aegis. You are to protect the prince with your life. If you fail to do so, then you will be executed for treason.

I understand, your majesty. Snowfox said politely.

Have a wonderful life my son. Whenever you please, you may come back to the palace and take the crown. As for you Snowfox, you are now an ambassador for the dragons. Farewell, and good travels. Ohanzee said as he spread his wings and with one big flap, he burst into the sky.

“So you’re a dragon ambassador now. That only adds to my amazement. You are quite a wonder to me Snowfox. Like when I first met dwarves.” Alverdus said, “You know thanks to that dragon, I can collect the molted weapons of our enemies, and make something out of it. Maybe some armor for Shadowmoon.”

“I do not particularly care whether you take the metals or not, but if you make armor for Shadowmoon, then you will have to get approval from me first.” Snowfox said.

“Well, that’s a bit grotesque brother. Maybe you should just let me pull the metals out of the earth with my magic.” Elfii said.

“That takes the fun out of it. Besides it’s not like they need them anymore.” he said with a chuckle.

“Take them, but you have to put them in your pack, because no one else is going to carry them.” Noll said.

Alverdus put all metal in his bag, and hoisted it onto his back. They set off to cross the border of Auglatha.

It took them three days to reach the border. The gates leading out of the country where giant stone gates that opened and closed on a pulley system. They weren’t extravagant, but some did have a newer look to them.  There were walls and four gates surrounding the entire kingdom located on the north, south, east, and west.