~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~

Start from the beginning

When lunch finally came around Archer and I headed to the cafeteria. Around ten different people stopped us on our way to talk to him. Now that he wasn't so closed off and had stopped hiding people seemed to gravitate towards him.

He was talking to a guy from the basketball team who'd approached him because he'd been having car troubles when he caught me smiling up at him. His eyes seemed to light up when they met mine, he pulled me close and pressed his lips to my temple before rejoining the conversation.

We finally headed to our usual table with Peyton, her boyfriend Andrew, and Colton. Recently Caroline had started to join us for lunch too. Archer set our lunch trays down on the table and took the only available chair beside Colton and the two started talking about their final tournament which was only a week away. Just as I started to grab an empty chair to sit from the table beside ours Archer's hands seized my waist and I yelped in surprise as he pulled me onto his lap. He continued his conversation with Colton without missing a beat as his arm snaked over my stomach to steady me.

The guys seemed completely unfazed and Peyton and Caroline both gave me excited looks.

Every now and then Archer would subtly run his fingers through my hair, rest his chin on top of my head, or nuzzle the side of my neck.

My cheeks were warm but I could feel my lips tip up into an involuntary smile as thousands of butterflies danced in my stomach.

"So, are you guys going to spill?" Caroline's giddy voice finally broke in. "Are you guys finally together?"

I felt Archer's body go still below me. I tilted my head up to look at him. Our eyes locked, his intense gaze was completely fixated on me, and everything around me seemed to melt away. He smiled down at me, his expression softening and suddenly my heart felt full.

I finally looked away from him and turned to our friends.

"Yeah, we're together." I beamed.

~~**~~

We were both lying in bed after eating the Fettucine Alfredo I'd made for dinner. My head was nestled in the crook of Archer's neck and he was mindlessly running his fingers through my hair. I was half asleep when his voice reached my ears.

The room was dark and the only source of light was from the moonlight coming through the window.

"I could stay like this for the rest of my life." He said.

Even though his words were meant to be sweet and romantic a familiar feeling of unease started unfurling in the pit of my stomach when he talked about the future.

I was reminded of what Peyton had told me about Archer getting a fully funded scholarship to California State University.

Something Archer hadn't even mentioned to me yet.

Archer seemed to pick up on my sudden change of mood because all of a sudden he tilted his body so he was looking at me. His eyes searched my face in the dark.

"What's wrong?" He murmured, his brows creasing in concern.

For a moment I contemplated pretending like everything was fine because everything had been so perfect recently and I didn't want to ruin it but reason got the better of me.

"Archer, have you thought about the future? Have you decided what you're going to do after we graduate?"

His throat bobbed as he swallowed he turned to lay on his back so he wasn't looking at me anymore. "Graduation is still two whole months away." He said quietly.

His vague response had my anger suddenly spiking. I sat up, my eyes shining with frustration.

"Oh? So that's what you're doing with me? Using me. Fucking me to pass the time till graduation?" I demanded.

One second he'd been lying on his back, the next he was sitting up, his face mere inches from mine. His expression was dark.

"You better take those words back." He growled.

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief. "Why should I, when it's obviously true." And to my utter mortification tears started trailing down my cheeks.

Archer's expression completely melted when he saw the look of anguish on my face. "Baby," He murmured as he pulled me to him so my head was buried in his chest. "Of course, that's not true. Why would you even think that?"

"Then why didn't you tell me about your scholarship?" The words slipped past my lips before I could stop them.

I could feel his body go rigid.

And when I pulled away to look at him I was taken aback by how angry he looked.