Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

Jessie will know about it any time now then.

Will she care enough though?

Will she come see me?

"Not even in your dreams young lady, this is the second time that arm of yours suffers because that is the same side you broke your shoulder last time." My mom pointed at me—no place for the debate in her tone.

I feel like a god damn kid.

I looked up from the phone to them as I pressed call on Morgan's contact first. "I figured out that much."

My attention was caught elsewhere when the phone call was answered. "Hello Divya? It's Kaden okay?"

"No dude I'm calling from the grave, the ouija got an update." I joked earning a nudge from my roommate and rolls of eyes from both my parents.

"Kaden! You asshole, what the hell happened?!" Morgan had worry all over tone.

"Relax Mor, I'm good just my arm is fucked up." She'll have a fit if I FaceTime her looking like this.

"How did you not see a fucking car coming at you woman!"

"Tone it down Jesus. I didn't see the car because that stupid kid didn't turn on the car lights." I was still a bit high on pain meds but even those weren't enough for Morgan's obnoxiously loud voice over the phone.

"You scared the shit out of me dude, I was about to fly to Canada and so was Jason, but your roommate talked us out of it. Also what happened to your phone?"

"Yo don't need to I'm fine and broke with the crash, by the way have you told anyone about the crash?" I was curious cause one thing about Jason and Morgan, they are going to run that big fucking mouth of theirs.

"I told my parents, I'm with Hayley visiting them—so when I told them I swear I saw my mom get so pale dude. I thought she would faint! Call her when you can." Morgan was silent for a moment—thinking most likely, which is surprising that she knows how to. "I might have commented it to Elizabeth as well... and... don't be surprised if she shows up... any moment now."

"Morgan." I sighed.

"She's your friend-fuck! Isn't she? I didn't know she would ask for the hospital you are in. She just cares about you, you are not angry are you?"

"No, no I'm not upset. It will be good to see her." That much is true, what won't be good it's if Jessie and her cross paths — that would be awkward as hell for me.

"I'm sure you are looking forward to it." Morgan teased me. "Maybe she'll be the one to be able to finally get you to settle down."

Yeah... I don't know about that.

"Are you trying to set me up in a relationship?" I asked and Divya gave me a questioning look and from the corner of my eye I saw my parents excuse themselves from the room.

"I had time to think about it, you would be cute together."

What in the hell? What got into her now?

"I'm too fucked up for this conversation right now, I'll call you later again Morgan. I have to call Jason." I listened as she briefly rambled about remembering to give her mom a call —which I will— and to not think about pushing myself hard or she'll be in the first flight to Vancouver if I ended in the hospital again.

We are seeing each other here in the holidays, she doesn't need to waste money in another plane ticket when I'm perfectly fine— well partially fine.

I called Jason next to tell him the same I did to Morgan and unlike her, he was not panicking or being loud. Just calm and reassuring, how he's always been.