TWENTY-TWO | MOTHER

THE START OF the new school year marks the final one for Carly, Pansy, Blaise, Theodore, and many other students

  THE START OF the new school year marks the final one for Carly, Pansy, Blaise, Theodore, and many other students. Unfortunately, the students aren't given the luxury of a weekend or even a day to settle in before classes commence. Nevertheless, the new students exhibit no complaints; their eagerness propels them straight to their classrooms. Their innocent eyes shimmer with magical anticipation. In contrast, older students wear expressions of annoyance as they stuff parchments and quills into their robe pockets. Conveniently "forgetting" their bulky textbooks in the dormitories.

  This gloominess appears to seep into every crevice of the castle walls, as if their wands siphon a fraction of joy from their souls with each passing year.

  Pansy and Carly make their way to their first class of the year, navigating a hallway bustling with students. Overenthusiastic second-years rush out of the library, eager to arrive early after a morning study session before class. They narrowly avoid a collision with the older students.

  Pansy shakes her head at the rushing youngsters, bearing a resemblance to an elder lamenting the manners of youth.

  "Are you taking Muggle Studies?" she inquires as they maneuver around a cluster of Gryffindors obstructing their path. Carly follows suit, shaking her head and exuding envy at the thought of students delving into the depths of Muggle knowledge.

  Pansy sighs, "That makes two of us." She clicks her tongue disapprovingly. "I would have loved to, you know. It seems incredibly intriguing. But I've been told it's the least significant subject, with no promising career opportunities. None worth pursuing, at least." Pansy rolls her eyes, repeating the words she's heard numerous times before, seemingly reluctant to agree yet adhering to the advice.

  A chuckle escapes Carly's lips before she articulates her thoughts, her voice light and thoughtful, "Well, that depends on your career aspirations. If you're interested in Muggle Sciences, for instance, that subject might be more pertinent for your professional future than, say, Care of Magical Creatures."

  Pansy nods, a genuine smile playing on her lips as she regards her friend. She affectionately nudges Carly's arm with her own. "You always know just what to say."

  "Do I?" Carly raises her eyebrows, a twinkle in her eyes.

  "Yes," Pansy confirms, her voice softening. "You truly do." Her words hold a weight beyond their casual conversation, leading her to stop in the middle of the hallway. Pansy reaches out, catching Carly's arm, encouraging her to halt as well.

  Carly observes her friend, sensing a shift in her demeanor. Pansy appears jittery, her breaths uneven, her gaze darting around.

  "You always know just what to say and never disappoint," Pansy starts, her tone more serious than the preceding cheerful exchange. "And that's why I've chosen you to be the first to know."

  Carly's encouraging nod and comforting smile are offered as Pansy gathers her courage, preparing to share a secret that has remained hidden for quite some time.