TWENTY | LAST SUMMER

THE HOT SUMMER NIGHTS are nearing an end

THE HOT SUMMER NIGHTS are nearing an end. The evenings spent in the Zabini's garden, with a cup of iced tea in hand are withering. The final few days of Carly's and Blaise's very last summer break are at hand and, to be truthful, Carly does feel a small sense of relief to soon be back at Hogwarts – to be far away from her parents, behind the safe walls of magic.

She wishes she were able to forget the incident, have it merge with many others, and stuff it into the closet securing the past. But her hands prevent her from doing so. She still wears bandages around the skin of her palms but much lighter ones. The scarred tissue peeks out at her free fingertips.

Carly heads to the kitchen where she finds Blaise and Pam preparing breakfast. It smells of bacon and baked beans, bread, and coffee. A smile immediately graces the girl's lips. "Good morning," she draws attention. Her appreciative eyes land on the breakfast and slobber reveals her appetite.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Blaise greets her with a grin and begins to scoop an ungodly amount of beans onto a plate. He hands it to Carly and fills another for himself. "Good morning," Pamela plants a kiss on Carly's temple. "And bon appétit. You too, Blaise, darling. We'll be out and about running errands all day long. So, strengthen yourselves properly."

"You too, please," Blaise insists.

"Of course," Pamela smiles and fills her plate with pancakes.

Carly and Blaise start dipping into their baked beans at the same time. And when Pamela joins them, Carly is struck by something. "Is Chandler at work?" she asks.

Pamela nods.

"Shouldn't you be there as well?"

Pamela takes a gulp of coffee before she calmly gives an answer. "I took another day off today." Blaise opens his mouth to say something, but Pamela immediately rakes in. "I know the plan was for you to stay here by yourselves for the last couple of days, but after what happened – I'd just like to stick around. And once you're safely back at Hogwarts, I'll return to my duties as well."

Carly has set down her cutlery as guilt mans her muscles. "You really don't need to stay here," Carly assures her.

Pamela brushes the girl's arm with a smile on her lips. "I want to, though. No arguments, all right?"

Hesitantly but nonetheless, Carly nods in agreement.

"Now eat. The lists for your final year are dauntingly long."