ONE | THE VASTNESS OF THE SKY

THE SINGING OF BIRDS embodies the feeling of freedom

THE SINGING OF BIRDS embodies the feeling of freedom. The shrill noises that travel through her eardrums as the wind caresses her cheeks and lets her hair float in the breeze give her the impression that she can achieve anything if she only set her mind to it. The scent of the fresh winds in her nostrils awakens all her senses from the deep slumber of anxious daily life. The duties that are crushing her shoulders are tumbling into the abyss. But she is simply directing all her care to the here and now.

Carly closes her eyes gently. Where there should be darkness, the morning spectacle of color, which the sun drapes across the entirety of England, shimmers through the thin skin of her eyelids.

She has grown to adore the sky and everything it entails. She had been fearful and blind for so long that she had fallen short of its beauty. Carly takes a deep breath, and her senses resurrect themselves. The wind that cradles the girl is warm, and it provides her with such indescribable warmth that she disregards her mind. She desires to stay forever, high off the ground, accompanied by nothing but the sky's inhabitants - the birds.

Carly is envious of the animals. She always has been. No place in this world is barricaded by a heavy door for all winged creatures. They might decide to visit the Eifel tower right now. Or take a tour of Berlin. Whatever they wish, they can do. And no one has any expectations that would make them drop their wings in letdown.

She slowly releases her hold on the broom she is seated on and spreads her arms wide. Left and right, her limbs protrude into the air as she absorbs all of this - pure freedom.

She has sorely missed her freedom. Now, Carly is savoring every moment of it.

She opens her arms and embraces the vast void, the air, the idealistic world she can see and feel from up there as if it were a gift.

Carly's mind is tormented. Each day, she is pulled into her unwanted thoughts, which have an excruciating claw grip on her. But all evil appears to wither away between the clouds. It is unable to invade the pure air. Evil remains prevalent on the ground, in the depths of life, where dangers lurk around every nook.

"Carly!" A deep voice hovers through the sky, calling out to her lost self - or rather, her found self. For, the gusting winds bring her clarity. Although she floats far up, bidding farewell to the firmness beneath her feet, this act repetitively brings her back down to earth.

"I knew I would find you here." The person has moved closer and is now hardly a few inches away. "Come on, the others are waiting for us, and we're all starving." The tone seems desperate but serene.

Carly does not care; she merely takes another long breath and fills her lungs with the fresh morning air. "Just a second," she says softly, and quietness falls. A silence she does not seem to like, nibbling on her skin, tugging on her hair, twisting her stomach in all directions, for, her body becomes a worthless hollow shell with no sense of its existence.