Chapter 8 - The Sorcerer's Stone

Start from the beginning

"Hello, and welcome to Hogwarts' first Quidditch game of the season." Lee Jordan announces as the two teams fly around the pitch.

"There's a commentator?" Hermione asks.

"It's a student, Lee Jordan. He's friends with the twins." Artemis explains, blushing. 

"You fancy him!" She teases.

"I do not!" She protests, trying to hide her blush with her scarf.

"Today's game, Slytherin versus Gryffindor!" Lee continues. 

The houses both cheer for their teams and Artemis is thankful it distracts Hermione from her crush. They settle down as the players approach the center of the pitch.

"The players take their positions as Madam Hooch steps out onto the field to begin the game!" He announces. Madam Hooch says something to the players before kicking open the box at her feet. "The bludgers are up, followed by the golden snitch. Remember, the snitch is worth 150 points. The seeker who catches the snitch ends the game."

Madam Hooch grabs the quaffle and tosses it into the air. Lee announces that the game has started as Angelina Johnson grabs the quaffle.

Throughout the game, Lee provides entertaining commentary as he narrates what's going on. As Slytherin ties the game, Hermione notices something wrong with Harry.

"What's going on with Harry's broomstick?" Hagrid asks as the others notice as well.

"It's Snape. He's jinxing the broom!" Hermione whispers to Ron and Artemis.

"Jinxing the broom? What do we do?" Ron asks.

"I've got an idea." Artemis mutters, glaring across the pitch at the teacher's box. She pushes through the others around them as she starts making her way towards Snape. Hermione follows, wanting to make sure she doesn't do anything too dangerous. When they reach him, Artemis pulls out her wand.

"What are you going to do?" Hermione whispers.

"Set him on fire." She answers.

"Isn't that a bit dangerous?" She asks, gesturing to the wood around them.

"Oh, please. Sadly, someone will notice, and he'll live." She replies, waving her wand. Snape's robes catch fire and the two quickly rush away, heading back towards their seats.

"He's got the snitch! Harry Potter receives 150 points for catching the snitch!" Lee announces. Madam Hooch blows her whistle, signaling the end of the match.

"Gryffindor wins!" She shouts. The Gryffindor section cheers loudly as the Slytherin section groans loudly.

"We knew he could do it!" Artemis exclaims, shaking Hermione as they cheer loudly.

***

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" Hagrid asks after they explain their theory. They walk out of the castle, heading towards his hut.

"Who knows, why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Harry replies.

"Who told you about Fluffy?" He asks.

"Fluffy?" Ron repeats.

"That thing has a name?" Hermione asks.

"He isn't a thing, he's a creature." Artemis scolds.

"Well, of course he's got a name, he's mine." Hagrid answers. "I bought him off an Irish fellow I met down at a pub last year then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the-"

"Yes?" Harry prompts.

"Shouldn't have said that. No more questions, don't ask anymore questions. That's top-secret, that is." He tells them.

"But, Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding Snape's trying to steal it." Harry argues.

"Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher." He says.

"Not a very good one!" Artemis scoffs.

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact and Snape wasn't blinking." Hermione explains.

"Exactly." Harry adds. Artemis shakes her head, knowing he had no idea until Hermione said it. Hagrid sighs.

"Now, you listen to me, all four of you. You're meddlin' in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel." Hagrid tells them.

"Nicholas Flamel?" He asks.

"I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that." He mutters, turning and walking towards his hut.

"Nicholas Flamel. Who's Nicholas Flamel?" Harry says, turning to his friends.

"I don't know." Hermione replies.

Hagrid glances back and sighs as he watches them walk back towards the castle, knowing Harry and Artemis are too similar to their fathers to leave this alone.