One Last Chance (Alternate ending - Dark Thoughts)

A/N: Read Dark Thoughts if you haven't already for context ❤️

I stood up and walked towards the door. I took one last look at my room, sighing, before heading downstairs and out the front door.

On the way to the junkyard, I felt a drop on my hand. I realised it was about to rain, but I didn't really care. Unfortunately the rain got heavier, but I managed to make it either way. I saw the bus we had hidden in all those years ago, I saw the sheet of metal I threw Lucas in.

I climbed up the stairs of an old office building nearby, sitting atop the roof. I hadn't brought any drugs, they were all medicinal ones Joyce had worked hard to pay for.

As I looked down onto the town, reality hit me. I was really about to disappear, once and for all. I didn't want it to end this way, but I can't live with the guilt anymore. I can't live with the trauma, I can't deal with the anxiety attacks, I can't see myself slowly go insane.

My thoughts were interrupted by vibrations in my pocket, and I pulled my phone out to see Max calling me.

I hesitated for a second but decided to answer. "El! Where are you? Have you seen the fucking rain?!" She shouted.
Tears filled my eyes, realising this was the last time I'd ever hear her voice. "I'm sorry." I sobbed.
"What? Don't worry, we'll come pick you up if we have to. Where are you?" She asked.
"I'm so sorry Max. I tried to hide it from you all."

"Hide what? We're getting into the Jonathan's car now, El. Just tell me where you are and I'll be there."
"It's too late." I answered, and I knew she was panicking now.

"Just wait, please! Where are you?!" She shouted into the phone, I heard the car door slam.
"I love you." I cried, the rain mixing with my tears.
"I'm coming El, just tell me where you are. Please don't do it, I'm here okay?"

I sniffed, doubt filling my mind once again.

"El? Please tell me you're still there."
"...I am." I answered quietly.
She exhaled, "Thank you. Now I need you to listen to me, okay? I'm in the car, where are you?"
"I-I can't tell you." I choked out.
"You can, I promise you can love. I'm going to help you, are you at the cabin?"

"N-no."
"Lover's lake?"
I hesitated for a moment, wondering if this was really the best thing to do. I could just end it all here, but Max said she's going to help me. Maybe there's a better option.

"El?"
"I... I'm at the junkyard." I replied.
"I'm already on my way. Wait for me to come, okay? It's just gonna be me and you. Don't leave me El."
"I'm sorry for scaring you." I said, my legs shaking as I looked over the edge.
"You didn't. Thank you for talking to me, don't hang up."
"I won't."

———

Max's POV:
Once I reached the junkyard, I stopped the car as abruptly as I could without it sending me flying through the windshield. As soon as it stopped, I got out the car and rushed around, looking for El.

"El!" I screamed, "Are you here?!"
I was about to look in the other direction until I saw an abandoned building in the corner of my eye. She's probably hiding in there, taking shelter from the heavy rain.

I went to the building, looking for a way in. As I turned the corner, my heart dropped. I saw her sitting on the rooftop, her legs dangling over the edge.