Chapter 9

💬

     "Dude, how are you not ready yet?"

     "I'm ready now," Sterling said, whipping open his bedroom door and scowling at Max. "You told me we don't need to leave until four-thirty!"

     "Yeah, and it's literally four-twenty-eight," Max shot back. "Also, you're never ready on time—so I've gotta come check on you like you're a toddler."

     "Cool—thanks, Mom." Sterling rolled his eyes. "Is this outfit good enough for you?"

     Max looked him up and down before he rolled his eyes and gave his verdict.

     "You look like the girl in 'Twilight'."

     "Okay, what?"

     "The whole flannel get-up." Max waved his hand. "Didn't know you have a thing for vampires, Sterlie."

     "Shut up." Sterling rolled up the sleeves of the button-down shirt, exposing the three-quarter sleeves of the shirt he had on underneath. "Have you even read 'Twilight'?"

     "Pche. No—I saw the movies."

     "All three of them? Wait—that's how many there are, right?"

     "How do you not remember that my sister held me hostage when those movies came out?"

     "We both know my memory is shit." Sterling made a face. "So then, what are you s'posed to be—the vampire?"

     "Oh, you wish." Max smirked. "My date's wearing red and black, so I'm wearing red and black. Bam. How d'ya like that?"

     "Okay?" Sterling made a face. "What colors am I s'pose to be wearing, then?"

     "Uhhh..." Max glanced at his phone. "Blue and white?"

     "Who the hell planned that?" Sterling frowned down at his outfit. It was close enough—although the flannel did have a bit of red mixed in with the vague cream-white and navy-blue stripes. "I'm fine, right?"

     "Are you wearing fucking sweatpants?" Max went to grab Sterling's leg. "Hell no! You are not gonna ruin this first impression!"

     "You told me it's a casual thing!"

     "In what world is a first date ever actually casual?!"

     "You think I know?!"

     "Y'know what—good point." Max gave up trying to take Sterling to the floor and dusted himself off. "Go put on some fake slacks or something. We are gonna look clean!"

     Sterling begrudgingly went back into his room, shutting the door behind himself before he started rummaging through the closet for anything that would pass as "slacks." He finally found a pair of straight-cut pants that were close enough, so he threw them on and hurried out of his room.

     "Good enough," Max said, grabbing his keys and heading out the door.

     "Are you driving?"

     "No, I just grabbed my keys for fun." Max rolled his eyes. "You ready to go? Got your shoes and coat? Need to use the bathroom before we leave?"

     "No, Mom."

     "Cool." Max waited for Sterling to step out into the hall before he followed, making sure the door was locked. The two of them went downstairs and headed to the parking lot to get in Max's car—which was sitting at the ready in its designated parking space.