Vol. 2.5-2: Tempest is very very very very very odd

ANNABETH

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

"What do you recommend, Tempest?" Dad asked, scanning his menu. He had to practically shout to be heard, since it was so busy.

We had a pretty nice table, with Tempest and I on one side, Leah and Dad on adjacent to us, and Bobby and Matthew with sides across from each other so they didn't feed off each other and act wild in the middle of the restaurant. Unfortunately, it was very crowded, so we were all shoved up way too close to the table and there were people everywhere.

"Gator is always very simple," Tempest said. "It's similar to chicken and quail. I think that'd be a simple meat for the kids. That and catfish, of course."

"What about crawfish?" Leah asked. "What do those taste like?"

"Not like lobster, if that's what you're asking," Tempest explained. "I cannot believe how many people compare it to lobster. Keep in mind that most cajun protein sources are freshwater fish, which don't taste as... well, quite as clean as ocean fish. Crawdads kind of have a... sweet flavor, coupled with dirt and rocks. I don't think you'd like it."

I wrinkled my nose. "What are you getting?"

"Crawdads."

I rolled my eyes. "Go figure."

"And what about you, Princess?" Tempest prompted.

I tried not to blush. "I guess the shrimp platter, but... I also thought about the catfish combo."

"Ooh, I thought about those ones," Tempest remarked.

I lit up. "How about we each get one, and split it?"

"You're on."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

"What's your plan for Christmas?" Dad asked Tempest. The boys, at lunch, had taken a huge liking to her. She had one hooked on each arm and they swung, giggling like wretched little monkeys as we all walked down the street.

"Probably hang out with the ghosts at the graveyard," Tempest shrugged. "We might play Yahtzee, though Uno is always a good choice."

"You just... spend time with ghosts?" Dad asked.

Tempest nodded. "It's easier to commune with the dead than the living. When a ghost gets on my nerves, I can command them to leave. With the living, you have to sit there in agony."

I stared at her. "Maybe don't be creepy to my family?"

"They live with you. I'm sure they're used to creepy teenagers."

"I'm not creepy!"

"Pfft, yeah, because non-creepy people always make red pen markings in Stephen King books."

"How do you know about that?" I asked suddenly.

She stopped smiling. "I went to put your bag back in your bunk. After you... were taken."