I See You

~~~

~~~

I was suddenly snapped from the connection with a harsh white flash.

My eyes widened as I opened them and saw Kiri convulsing. I quickly swam up to her and grabbed her body.

I kicked my feet as hard as I could to reach the surface. When I broke through the water, everyone surrounded us.

"What's wrong? What is it?" Tuk asked frightened by the state of her sister. I handed Kiri over to Neteyam as he mounted his Ilu.

"It was a seizure," I explained as I kept my gaze on Kiri while Neteyam began mouth-to-mouth.

My heartbeat was quickening faster than I could think as my breath began to pick up rapidly. My ears started to ring as everyone worriedly spoke around me. I felt my vision blur before me as Kiri lay lifeless on the Ilu.

Suddenly her chest began to rise up and down. A whole world of noise filled my ears as I snapped back to reality, seeing she was still alive.

"Get her to the village. Hurry!" Tsireya demanded, making Neteyam take off, at full speed on his Ilu. I followed closely behind him, not allowing my eyes to move from Kiri's rising chest.

As we neared the village, I was quick to hop off my Ilu, forgetting my injury. I eagerly stepped onto land and immediately hissed in pain at my nearly healed wound.

"Be careful," Ao'nung shunned as he put an arm around my back. We walked quickly to my parents, as Tsireya retrieved her own. Neteyam followed behind us with Kiri with Lo'ak, Tuk, and Rotxo.

My dad met my eyes as we stepped through first. He looked at Ao'nung's hand wrapped around my body and shot me a glare.

The moment was short-lived as Neteyam stepped through with Kiri in his arms. My mom gasped and dropped everything she was holding.

"What happened!" my mother asked, jumping to Kiri's side immediately.

"She had a seizure, I think," Neteyam explained as he set her down in the tent. My mother put her head to Kiri's chest to hear her heart and calmed slightly.

"How did this happen?" my father said disappointedly as he looked at all of us.

"We don't know, sir," Lo'ak responded, hanging his head low to avoid my father's gaze.

"That isn't an answer, boy," my father said sternly as he looked at him ashamed. Ao'nung shifted his stance lightly, making my father's attention fall on us.

"And you! Do you even care about this family? Every time something bad happens, it's because of your negligence!" he shunned me loudly, causing Ao'nung's grip to tighten around my body. I kept my gaze on Kiri and stood in silence, watching her breath. Ao'nung's parents entered the tent and stood in silence, watching the scene unfold.