Rituals

~~~

~~~

Three weeks flew by in a blink of an eye as I trained alongside Ronal. I felt myself become more and more comfortable with the water as I began mastering lessons.

I saw my family grow comfortable too. Ao'numg and Tsyeria worked along with my siblings every day without me.

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a distance begin to grow between my siblings and me, but I needed to learn.

I yanked Ao'nung's hair slightly while I braided, to get him to sit still.

"Teyni," he hissed moving his hand up to his head. I let a satisfied smile spread on my face as I continued. Ronal was on the other side of the tent weaving baskets. She said she was too busy to be distracted when I entered, demanding that I braid her son's hair.

"Don't whine like a baby," I responded stubbornly. I admired the curls that sat in my hands as I worked.

"At least I don't swim like a baby," he responded teasingly, causing an involuntary laugh to come out of my mouth. As much as I wanted to deny it, I still moved poorly in the water, and probably always would.

"Let's put you on an Ikran, Sea boy, and see how well you conduct yourself," I offered lightly as I worked on his hair.

His back pressed against my legs, and his head reached to my hip. I often forgot to acknowledge how tall he truly was when I was around him. His curly hair hung loosely down his waist.

"Ao'nung, have you begun to prepare?" Ronal asked, ignoring our childish bickering. I was confused by her words but continued to work instead of questioning.

"Nothing can prepare you for something you do not wish to do," Ao'nung responded harshly, causing Ronal to hiss at his disrespect. I could feel the tensions building around me and knew there was no way I could help unless I knew what they were talking about.

"What is he preparing for?" I asked Ronal, ignoring the boy below me.

"His courtship rituals to pick a mate," she started casually. I pulled one of Ao'nung's stands of hair involuntarily in shock.

"Sorry," I pleaded as he hissed in pain again. I wasn't sure why I was so surprised by the idea. I too, was set to be engaged to the future Olo'eyktan, though my arrangement was made upon my birth.

In a way, Ao'nung had a lot of freedom in his ability to pick who he was to marry, but it was clear to see that he still felt constricted in his liberties.

"I'm going to lose my hair if you keep yanking it like that," He complained as he messaged his head.

"May Eywa give your future mate strength," I responded.

The next two days went by faster than expected as the whole clan prepared for the arrival of families. Ronal explained the customs further, letting me know that the rituals consisted of several tests for a Tsahík that the whole clan attended to watch.