Dancing After Death

~~~

~~~

The night went on as the girls continued their tests as I demonstrated. Watching them fail never got easier for me.

I felt a sense of understanding as their parents peered at them with disappointment in their failure. I knew that deep down, everyone here was raised just like me; in the hopes of living for something bigger.

As the last ritual had just been completed, I looked over at my own family. My mother seemed to be entertained enough as she watched the girls, as my dad and brothers twiddled their thumbs in boredom. Kiri had her eyes closed as she sat, probably lost deep in her thoughts. Tuk excitedly waved her hand at me, noticing I was looking in their direction.

I smiled at her but turned my attention back to the last remaining girl in front of us. Nì'awve kept her teal eyes on Ao'nung as she stood proudly.

I fought myself from rolling my eyes at her clear smugness as she paid no mind to the girl around her who just lost their future.

"Eywa has chosen!" Ronal yelled, grabbing Nì'awve's hand and lifting it into the air. Everyone began to make battle cries in celebration, but I couldn't help but feel a dull ache run across my body at the words.

I looked down at Ao'nung who rose to his feet next to me. He didn't spare me a glance as he walked up to the other side of Nì'awve and took her hand. He raised it above her head with his mother as the noises from the people only got louder.

I rush of despair ran down my body as I focused on his large hand wrapped around hers. People began to crowd around them as they began to dance in celebration.

I stood in my original place, unable to move as I watched Ao'nung dance next to the girl. I felt my chest begin to rise rapidly with rage at the sight. I felt as if I could breathe fire only to separate the pair.

"Tsu'teyni," I heard a voice say, snapping me out of my thoughts. I felt Neteyam's hand rest on my shoulder as he looked up at me.

"Are you okay?" he asks genuinely as people danced around us. I smiled at my sweet brother and took his hand into mine.

"I'm well, brother," I reassured him as I squeezed his hand and let go. I noticed him glance down at my tail which was swooshing with true emotion, but he ignored it and nodded his head.

Lo'ak and Tsyeria soon joined our side as they smiled into each other's eyes. I looked up at Neteyam with a knowing look as he only laughed at the sight.

"I don't know who will mate first, you or Ao'nung?" Neteyam joked, causing both of them to blush profusely as they shifted uncomfortably.

"That is not an invitation Lo'ak," I warned harshly as I saw Kiri break through the crowd with Tuk on her hip.

"That couldn't have lasted any longer," Kiri complained as she rolled her eyes. My brothers and Tsyeria laughed in unison causing me to join. I had missed the company of my siblings more than I knew.