He Came Back

It has been three months since my debut race, the Hopeful. I've raced four times since then easily winning each time. I look out of my stall to see Anna, Natasha, and Mady coming towards me. They come up to me and start discussing things I can't follow. They size me up and sometimes give a quick reassuring rub on the nose. Then I hear a truck pull up the drive way and the engine stop. I've slowly learned what ques people give horses and I'm starting to understand more by the minute. I see someone step out of the truck and walk over with a briefcase. It's the vet. I turned back in my stall and cautiously peer over the stall door. All of the people around me talk in hushed voices and soon Tom and the vet walk over. Tom comes over and hold my halter. The vet brought in a caddy and set it down beside me. He goes over to my left leg. I look down and I looks a little swollen, I start to worry. The vet runs his hand down my leg. He does that a couple more times where it is sore and crouches down next to my leg and slides his caddy over. He rubs ointment on me and then stands up with something in his hand. He puts the thing in my side and I turn to bite him. Tom yanks my head back. I look back where the vet has put this thing away and rubs the spot where he injected me. He leaves my stall and Tom leads me out after him. For some reason I didn't argue or fight. I was led to a trailer that was big enough for a horse to lay down comfortably. Then Tom started to walk me around on the grass. I started to get tired. I tried to stay awake but, whatever the vet injected made my body feel heavy. My vision started to blur and I collapsed onto my knees. I fell to the ground with a loud thud. Dust on the ground floated in the air around me and I stopped fighting and gave into a deep sleep.