Starting Off

Tom led me out of the stall and over to a round dirt track. He tied me to a fence post and walked off to the barn. I looked back at him wondering where he's going. I pricked my ears straining to see if I could see what he was doing. I started to turn when my leg felt really stiff. I gazed down and saw my leg wrapped. I forgot about it, but when I walk, it becomes harder to walk without twisting my knee around, but it's not impossible to walk. Tom returned soon after he left, carrying something in his hand. It was bouncing and jingling walking over to me. He then set the stuff down on the fencing and let me look at it. I sniffed it. It wasn't the worst, it was small, but I didn't think it could do harm.

Tom grabbed a piece of cloth and set it on my back. I wasn't expecting it but I put my ears back in warning curious what he would do next. Next, he took a thin piece of leather called a saddle and set it on my back. I didn't understand the purpose, nor did I like it, but I trusted him. The word trust is something I never thought I would think again. Since I was taken away from my mother and father, since I was almost trampled, since I fell walking into a trailer, since injuring my leg, since coming here, I found, trust. My heart ached and yearned for my mother and father, but I knew we would never reunite. The days of the herd were gone. Now it was me and a path I was following with blind trust, that may be a hollow promise.