Chapter Twenty-Two: Scarlett

Start from the beginning

Chase had a smile slapped on his face. "I love how the first thing you want to tell your best friend when you haven't talked to her for a few weeks is how you lost your virginity."

"How do you know that was the first time I had sex?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well, if you never met me, you would be married, in love for the first time in your life with Levi. You haven't loved anyone before me. I know that much."

"Well what about you? Was Wednesday night your first time?"

He smiled. "Just like you, I haven't loved anyone else."

Somehow—even though I knew Chase hadn't loved anyone before me before he told me—it still brought me comfort to hear him say it. A smile filled my face and I couldn't hold it back any longer. "Chase I love you."

"Scarlett, I love you."

I smiled and kissed Chase.

A loud buzz and the sound of big, heavy, steel doors unlocking woke me. I opened my eyes in a start and slowly took in my surroundings. A big barred door, rusted, had opened halfway. I was lying in a rusted, metal cot and there was a mixture of dust, rust, blood, and sharpie on the walls.

I sat up in the cot. In the room, there was a window—barred—a toilet, and a sink. I was wearing an orange jump suit.

"You're free to go."

What I've gathered about where I am: I am a prisoner, I'm in a prison, I'm being released, and my mom will try to kill me... again.

I slowly stood up and left the cell.

There wasn't any other ghostly prisoners, just me and my boots, hitting the concrete ground, echoing off the walls. There wasn't any guards to lead me out of the prison, just myself and a few scarce signs.

I rounded a corner and heard bloodcurdling screaming. I started running towards the scream. My boots slid as I ran around a corner, throwing me off balance. My left hand hit the ground and I pivoted around my arm, not letting the slickness of the floor through me off.

As I got closer to the scream, I heard applause and laughter. "Bravo!" Someone yelled. "Well done!" yelled another. "A scientific break-through!"

My pace slowly to a jog as I approached the source of applause. Men and women—about ten overall—in white coats stood in front of a wall, looking through a giant glass window.  More screams filled the air and the men and women—scientist—clapped louder. I pushed my way through the crowd to see what was through the window.

A woman—young, only twenty, maybe—sat on a metal table. She was in a white gown, a hard contrast from her dirty skin covered in mud and grime, like she hadn't showered in months. There were wires connected to various parts of her skin, some went under the gown. Another scientist—the kind you'd describe only as a "mad scientist"—stood beside a computer with four different monitors. He would click on his mouse and the woman on the table would scream.

"What is he doing to her?!" I screamed. "Someone's go to help her!" I pounded on the glass.

I felt a strong hand grabbed my arm. "What are you doing out! You know what happens to escapees?!"

I tried to pry his fingers off my arm, feeling the circulation being cut off. "No! The door to my cell! It was opened—" I tried to tell the man what happened but he didn't listen.

I was pulled down a staircase. The man put his hand up to a scanner by a white door. The top of the scanner lit up with a centimeter thick line. The line moved down to the heel of the man's hand. The line of light disappeared and the man opened the door with his free hand.