Book 5, Part 064 : A Beautiful Tyrant

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

Outside the Pomefiore Dorm, Deuce sank to the ground, his back against one of the stone pillars with his head tipped down.

He let out a long, languid sigh. "I blew it big time. I had no business lashing out the way I did. That's not what an honor student does. Someone gives me justified criticism, and I go off on them."

He sighed again. "Man, I'm lame..."

"There you are."

He looked up in alarm to see Helia approaching, Grim at his aide.

The monster smirked. "Hey, our kindly manager's brought you a bottle of water."

Helia extended the bottle, and Deuce accepted it with a quiet 'thank you'.

Helia motioned to the space beside him. "Mind if I join you?"

Deuce scooted up a bit further, and he sat down beside him.

"Helia. Grim. Sorry about running off." He apologized sincerely.

"You should be! If you guys don't want first place, my tuna bonanza goes up in smoke!" Grim exclaimed.

"You and Epel both better buckle up and get back to practice." He added.

"Grim." Helia scolded him.

Deuce merely chuckled a bit. "You and your one-track mind. It makes me kinda jealous.

"Don't listen to him. Are you alright?" Helia asked gently.

He shrugged. "I guess.."

"Y'know Deuce, I've been wondering; why did you stick your nose in Vil and Epel's argument? Even I know that's just askin' for trouble." Grim pointed out.

"Deuce isn't the only one." Helia sighed and shook his head, recalling the way you reacted and hopped to both boys' defense.

He knew leaving you to your own devices would be better than lecturing you and making you more irritable; Vil had unintentionally struck a nerve.

"It is, huh?" Deuce nodded,"I agree. It was dumb of me. But I've seen something in Epel ever since we ran into him by the courtyard well."

He smiled softly. "I think he and I are both alike."

"Seriously? You and Epel? You guys don't look or act anything alike." Grim deadpanned.

"It's hard to put it in words. It's about wanting to change, but not being able to... not knowing how to change yourself and just kind of floundering." Deuce groaned and buried his face in his knees,"Ace was right. I'm hopeless at this stuff. I'm bad at getting a point across. It's just so... frustrating."