05. the one that might get away

chapter five
the one that might get away

JULIETTE LOOKED OUT THE WINDOW OF THE COFFEE HOUSE AS SHE SAT DOWN IN THE CORNER SEAT, waiting for Adam to arrive. Nervously nibbling her lip, she was grateful her parents weren't on lunch shift today, they were upstairs doing whatever, she just hoped that Joe wouldn't tell them about this. Her dad may like Adam, but Amelia is definitely going to be on edge about her little daughter basically going on a date. 

Joe placed her only ever order onto the table in front of her, taking the two cups she'd already drank. A chocolate milkshake, that Jules makes the best, "You've got lock-up tonight, Jules." She nodded, hooking one leg over the other, "And, I won't tell your parents that you're on a date."

"Am not." She defended instantly. 

Joe scoffed, "You're wearing a dress, and you've done your makeup and hair all nice, you're usually a scrawny little alley cat." Juliet gasped, not believing he just insulted her like that, "You're adorable, but you look like you're about to go and meet up with the Queen of England."

"I hate you, Joe." She mumbled, sipping her shake when Adam finally walked into the coffee house. He cleans up pretty well, he wasn't in anything fancy and lunch was just an excuse for Juliet to dress up because she did like dressing fancy when she wanted to. "Finally, I've been here for half-an-hour. How long does it take to walk down the road?"

Adam chuckled nervously, taking the seat opposite her, "I lost my right shoe, Daisy had hidden my shoe." The fourteen year old girl frowns, not knowing he had a sister. If he did, she hadn't ever seen her before, "My dog. She likes to hide our shoes, it's really annoying." 

"Oh, right. I was like... do you have a sister?" Jules nodded, wiping her clammy hands on her legs, and swallowing on her dry throat. She wasn't sure why she was so nervous, this isn't a date. It's simply a friendly lunch, she said it herself. In all truth, she should be more nervous about going to the pub with her dad and the guys later, they're going to destroy her. Without their padding, they're not that intimidating but they're still going to push her around like a puck and ask her a gazillion questions about her life. 

Banks looked her up and down, "You look... really pretty." Barnes blushed, tucking her hair behind her ear with a slight smile, "Uh, have you ordered yet?" She shook her head, nibbling on her bottom lip, "I look so scruffy compared to you, I'm so sorry."

"No, this is just an excuse for me to look nice." Juliet quickly butted in, shaking her head in slight confusion, "Don't feel upset, I like to be a girly-girl every once in a while. To be honest, I'd prefer to be in pyjamas."