16. Sitta T'Ashar

Começar do início

"Your mother!" The shout that came from behind them suddenly moved in front of them as Fayza appeared. Past her, the bakery door swung back to a close. "Are you OK?" She dropped beside her brother.

Beside his sister, Amjad found the courage to speak up. "You're a dog. I pray that God opens the ground so you fall right into hell where you belong."

"Silence, ya hayawan."

Fayza shot up and took the step that brought her directly to the soldier's face. "You are the animal here, not my brother!" She shouted in an explosion of anger. Amani flinched at the depth of her raised of her voice, like she knew she needed to drop her tone to match his so he would hear her. "It looks like your mother didn't raise you properly so you've come into our streets so we can discipline you."

He yelled back. "And your mother did?"

"My mother is more respectable than the highest position in your make-believe government! Bring all your friends here and I'll teach you all one by one. Ana rah rabequm!" She screamed into his face. "You and your mother kaman!"

If his raging glare could transcend through the protective shield over his face, it could have actually hurt Fayza. But she didn't shrink back even an inch in front of him. "I'll teach you how to speak to us!" He took a step forward but she remained firm in her place.

"If you're so brave, show me! Put down your gun, take off your armor, and show me like a man. Not the coward you are!"

But Muhsin's hand suddenly pressed into the soldier's chest as he attempted to stand between the two, forcing his sister a step back. "That will be alright." Amani wasn't sure who his words were directed at. All she knew was that his head was turned to the side so his words reached the girl standing behind him. Fayza tried to move past him. "She did not mean that."

"Oh, I fully meant to. I hope to offend you, your father, and your grandfathers in their graves. Let my words reach them through the fire they're already burning in!"

Muhsin shot her a warning look but said nothing.

"Control your woman before I do," the soldier hissed.

"There's no need to speak like that."

"I will speak as I wish!" The soldier yelled.

From where she helped Amjad up, Amani saw Muhsin's expression shift at the soldier's volume. "Know your place when you address others," Muhsin warned. "We respect our animals more than we do you."

The soldier's eyes snapped to him. He said something but Amani only noticed the way he shoved Muhsin back and, when he resisted and took another step forward, the soldier threw his rifle up so it collided with Muhsin's temple. Something crunched as Muhsin's hand flew to his head and he stumbled into the wall from the force of the unexpected attack.

In her arms, Amjad cried out. "Muhsin!"

From the crowd that had cautiously formed around them, more than a dozen men raced forward. But Fayza moved faster than any of them as she pressed her hands into the soldier's chest and threw him back with monstrous strength. He pointed his rifle at her but she wheeled the stone in her hand forward so its jagged edge struck the bridge of his nose. Blood sprayed.

Amani covered Amjad's eyes.

"Don't think you are invincible because we let you walk free," Fayza grabbed the rifle in his hands and tore it from his hold. He reached for it but she spun it in the air so it hit the inch of exposed skin between his helmet and protective mask, making contact near his cheekbone the same way he'd hit Muhsin. "If we want you, no amount of armory can keep you safe."