14. Arba'a T'Ashar

Start from the beginning

Um Muhsin shook her head. "No, I am lucky. I have been speaking to Muhsin about looking for a girl for many years, I nearly lost hope. Now, your niece has come and looks to be a lovely girl. I am the one who is lucky."

Amani looked between them, noticing the reality of the words they spoke. This was on a path of marriage. It made her turn to Fayza for reassurance but the other girl was staring at both older women with an open mouth and wide eyes.

"It is unfortunate that Muhsin could not come with you. We were very excited to see him. You know, he came all the way over here two days ago to bring the bread Amani had forgotten at the bakery. I was so flattered," Auntie placed her hand on her heart.

"Yes, Fayza did mention something like that. But don't worry, Muhsin is on his way here now. The prayer called on our way here so he went to pray first."

Auntie gasped. "Oh, mashallah."

Um Muhsin nodded earnestly then turned to Amani. "Do not tell him I said this, but I have seen him praying more often in the night these past few days. I knew he was making duaa for guidance but I was not sure regarding what until he told me about Amani."

"There is truly nothing better than a man with a good connection to his deen," Auntie agreed, excitedly gripping Amani's arm.

"Let me tell you something, Amani, because I felt as if you were my second daughter the moment I saw you. This is not only about my son but you need to choose a man of strong faith to marry," she leaned forward to advise her. "A man who knows his Creator will know to treat you right and raise your children in the best home. It is for that reason that I married Muhsin's late father, Fayez."

"Fayez was such a wonderful father to them," Auntie nodded. "I would always see him buying them gelato cones even when they were not with him."

Um Muhsin laughed. "Yes, and it is so hot, they would be melting on his hand by the time he arrived home with them."

Amani grinned at the thought. When she looked at Fayza, the girl wore a similar smile on her lips. "I remember that," she chuckled.

"You were very young, but I knew you would never forget it," she held her daughter's hand encouragingly then turned to Amani. "It is those moments that you will seek out for your children. Many people marry for love and it is a respectable reason, of course, but not many think of their future children."

Auntie nodded. "Oh, that is very true. There is always more to marriage than love. You are choosing your partner for life, Amani, and the man who will raise your children and join your family."

"Right," Amani blinked.

The doorbell rang.

"That must be him now," Auntie rose and left Amani alone.

Um Muhsin turned to her with a soft smile. "I do not mean to fill your mind with worries, my child. I only mean to advise you so you are able to make the best choice for yourself and my son. You have already claimed quite a bit of his heart," she placed her hand on Amani's knee. Fayza's eyes grew wider at her mother's words. "I see it in his eyes when he speaks of you. May Allah bless both of you."

Amani hummed, unsure how to respond.

If Um Muhsin's attention had lingered on her any longer, she may have noticed Amani's hesitancy. But she turned to her eldest son the moment he appeared in the living room, his gaze low as he followed Auntie into the area. "There's my boy," she smiled.

He greeted all of them and, when his mother nudged Fayza away from the edge of the couch near Amani, reluctantly took her place.

"Perfect timing, Muhsin," Auntie smiled. "We were just speaking of you to Amani, isn't that right, Um Muhsin?"