sixteen

the next morning, amelia woke up being held closely into jeremiah. she was still wearing his hoodie he lent her last night and her hair was still a bit wet from the rain.

looking around, she noticed the only other one awake was conrad, who looked like he was about to shit his self as he paced.

amelia slowly removed jeremiah's arm, careful not to wake him, and stalked over to conrad in the kitchen. he was mumbling things to his self while running a hand through his hair anxiously.

"morning." the brunette girl raised her eyebrows in amusement. she'd never seen him in such a nervous state. everything he did, it was with confidence. but that was before his life went to shit. he hasn't been the same since.

"jeez, mel. you scared the hell out of me." he breathed out, placing a hand to his chest. amelia shrugged her shoulders, "you'll be fine. what's got you all worked up this early in the morning?" she asked, leaning her body against the island.

"oh, you know, just a test that could determine if i stay at brown or get to go to stanford. the usual." it was his turn to shrug his shoulders nonchalantly.

amelia nodded in agreement, "oh, yeah. no biggie." she spoke sarcastically.

"exactly."

the curly haired teen moved from her spot against the counter to stand in front of the nervous boy. "i'm sure you're going to do great. you know what..?" amelia unclasped the bracelet around her wrist, sticking it out for conrad to take.

"your lucky bracelet?"

"my lucky charm bracelet. so, not only will you have my lucky bracelet, you'll have all the lucky charms that come with it. it's, like, double the luck." she took his hand in hers and clasped the jewelry around his wrist.

conrad studied the bracelet for a second before looking down at amelia with a grateful smile on his face. "thank you, mel. for everything."

the girl screwed her brows in confusion, "what do you mean 'everything'?"

"helping with the house, getting jere back to his old self, sticking by my side through everything, the bracelet." he listed off. "just everything. it all means a lot. so, thank you."

a bright smile took place on amelia's lips, "of course. we'll always be best friends. even when you're my brother-in-law." she chuckled, wrapping her arms around conrad and bringing him into a hug.

the older boy placed one hand around her shoulders while the other went to her back. him and amelia haven't been the closest in the past few months ever since belly and his breakup and his mothers death, but he still looked at her as his closest friend. between her and steven, no one else has been there for him like they have. besides his mom, of course.

about an hour later, everyone else had woken up and were getting ready to say their goodbyes.

amelia was up in her room, getting one last look as she gathered her items. it was crazy to her how just two weeks ago she was trying to forget jeremiah in every sense. she didn't even think she'd be in this house again. but, as usual, susannah was the one to bring everyone together again. even in death, she still had a huge impact on everyone.

"are you ready to go?" amelia heard the familiar voice of jeremiah from behind her. she turned around to face him as he was leaning against the doorframe.

"almost. we just need to do one more thing."

*

after informing everyone of the plan, the teens all ran out back down to the dock with laurel and a phone to take the photo.