TEN - "Twin flames"

TEN - "TWIN FLAMES

TEN - "TWIN FLAMES."

The definition of twin flames is one that Danny Bixler had long familiarised himself with. It crept back in at the most unnecessary times, reminding him, never with a tinder hookup or even a simple crush, but with Lyds it always sprung to mind. It would never simply leave.

To be 'twin flames' by its exact meaning, is to be one half of the same soul, not quite the same as soulmates as one can have many of those, but to be the exact same soul incarnated into two physical bodies, forced to be forever in search of one another to be whole again.

Danny had only ever felt wholeness in his life for the past three years. Since the day she walked into it. The boy had tried to deny it for so long, through every one of her relationships and his own, through crying nights in her arms during his parents divorce, during drunken evenings when he found her just a little too close. He'd hated it at first, Lyds was his best friend, she couldn't be his twin flame, not when there was always someone else.

But Danny knew better than ever that night, sat at her side, their backs against his sisters bed with her corpse tied up a top of it, that no one would've ever been willing to live through such events with him. He'd known for a long time just who she was to him, despite his bitterness, but that night was the one where he stopped denying it.

In the cradle of life or death, he knew the cost couldn't be the only fulfilment, fullness, wholeness, he'd ever felt. He couldn't let the flame burnt out.

He sat quietly and watched her for some time after his realisation, taking note of the spots of blood that freckled her impossibly pale skin. He memorised the stain of her lips, a somewhat terracotta colour destroyed by the red that painted them from her incessant chewing. And finally, with his own bloodied hands, fresh from the touch of his sister, he touched the scar above his best friends eyebrow.

She flinched, momentarily. Her hand shot up to grab his and in one swift movement she had him, that was when their eyes met and their palms fell upon her lap.

This couldn't be it? Was she finally releasing him? No? Not when he wanted it the least, surely? Not now!

If her touch was such a comfort then why did it suddenly feel like goodbye?

The Bixler boy tried to ignore her stare for as long as he possibly humanly could. He squeezed her hands instead, caressing them, obsessing over them, relishing in the soft kiss of her skin from the constant scrubbing of the floor she'd committed to; she hadn't wanted Kassie or himself to be scarred by his sisters blood being stained into the carpet.

He pulled her digits up to his mouth and kissed every single one of them, Danny had almost grown desperate for her. He knew he'd fucked up, the lying and destroying her relationship, using it to his advantage in order to kiss her, telling her the truth in circumstances where he knew she wouldn't or couldn't even give a reaction. Despite the monsters they'd seen that night, suddenly Dan found himself believing he was no better than any of them.