NINE - "Don't look."

NINE - "DON'T LOOK

NINE - "DON'T LOOK."

Beneath the light of the ever flickering lamp, Lyds Greystone stood alone in the Bixler's darkened hallway, feeling her heart threaten to stop.

She found, the longer she stood there, that the terror she'd felt that night wasn't truly how it was often portrayed in all the horror flicks. She didn't hear her heartbeat in her ears, nor did it beat out of her chest, it felt almost as if it had stopped entirely, waiting in anticipation for something much further beyond her than she could ever understand.

There was no tense music, nor did she home the skills of a final girl. Lyds simply was, she existed. That was it.

The only thing that truly grounded her to the horror tropes that seemed to suddenly invade her life, the one thing that truly connected her to it, was Danny.

The love interest.

Which if you know horror always meant one of them was doomed from the start. Most of the time, it was the guy, sacrificing himself to the spirits or masked killer in order for his lover to go on and be the final girl he always knew she could be.

But this was reality.

And Lyds was no final girl. Besides, she'd long promised herself from the start, far longer than when she'd promised Danny she'd stay, that the doom was her own.

As much as in that moment she despised him for his trickery, she would've given her life a thousand times over too.

And so she watched over her own shoulder, gazing into the warm light of Kassie's bedroom back at the older boy. He lay atop his sister's sheets, his back to the wall, chewing at his own lip, a habit which he'd picked up from Lyds, but nevertheless his eyes never averted her.

If he'd have known the danger at the end of the hall, he'd have been with her in a second.

Despite all of this, L still gifted Danny a sweet smile, reassuring him despite the betrayal he'd undone upon her, despite being terrified for her own life, proving that even after everything she still chose his feelings above her own.

Quite as she'd always do, and truly, always had.

"Lyds..." Beth's voice echoed as the girl conversed on the kitchen.

"Beth-" L shot back, but her words soon fled her. "What the fuck?" She choked out.

Upon the counter top was Bridget.