The Forgettable past

My muscles clenched and I sat frozen in my seat as the song continued to play on the radio.

That Song. My song!

I had not heard it since ages, even though I still had the CD he had gifted me at my house in Pune, somewhere in my old closet. I remembered the first time he had sung it for me. It was the same day when he had kissed me, taking me to seventh heaven. However, when I heard it now, it gave me shudders.

'Welcome back! You are listening to Gaana radio! And what a song that was. The first song you say, Rahul...?'

'Yeah. Can you believe it?'

'What a remarkable song! But you haven't still told us about the inspiration behind this song.'

'Well as the song says, she was a different girl. The one you wish to be married someday.'

My heart must have stopped hearing him. Why would he say this after all this time?

'The name, Rahul. We want to know her name.'

'Trisha.... I was insensitive to her back then, and I am paying the price for that mistake now. She is with to someone else!'

Aayan's head turned towards me sharply and he abruptly pulled the car to the roadside.

"What the hell?"

"How do I know?" I replied as I got to the deep sunken place. My heart was leaping out of my chest. He was talking about that bloody surprise! Why today of all the days, I thought. He ruined my perfect birthday.

'What a touching story! We hope you get her back; even it means that will break all your fans' hearts! So Rahul, tell me the story of this song! We would really like to know more about the song that broke all the recent records and elevated you to the top ranks in the music scene in India today!'

'I am so overwhelmed at the response! I had previously played this song when I was young, and at that time the response was good. But today when I sang it pouring my heart into it, my efforts have paid off! The kind of emotions one gets when they get older and look back to the mistakes.'

'We all hope you get even more success in all your projects. Any last message to Trisha before we end the show?'

My hand automatically went up to switch off the radio, but Aayan's cold clutch on my hand prevented me. I did not want to hear anymore, so I tried my best to think about something else.

'Trisha, wherever you are on your birthday, just remember that I am sorry for what I have put you through, that I will always want to be your friend if not something more. Please forgive me.'

'Aww. Trisha, please give him another chance. Well thank you, Rahul, for coming to our sh-'

Aayan banged the stereo off in pure anger. His hands got back to clutching the steering wheel tightly. Tears started to run down my cheeks as I lost all my control. All I wanted to do was to comfort him, reason him out. But I knew this was not the time. His face displayed the deep annoyance and despair.

"Aayan, I..." I struggled with words. I wanted to shout and say that it was not me. I had written him off my life years ago. And that he does not matter to me now.

Without a word, he turned the car around heading towards the opposite direction. The way he was staring at the road, made me fear. Fear that this might change something between us. Fear that Rahul for his own good might have ruined something between us. I sat quietly, counting my tears and cursing that excuse of a person for destroying yet another valuable time in my life. The surprise Aayan was planning for me died a natural death!