It was an apocalypse, why was everyone so worried about an abusive father and husband when the dead were walking?

"Hey, Jim?" Shane asked carefully as he looked down at the slightly older man. "Jim, why don't you hold up, all right? Just give me a second here please."

"What do you want?" Was the annoyed response he got as he shoved the shovel into the dirt, slightly stretching his back.

"We're all just a little concerned, that's all."

"Dale said you've been out here for hours." Morale joined the conversation.

"So?" He spoke once again with annoyance.

"So why are you digging?" Shane finally asked the million dollar question. "Are you heading to China, Jim?" Shane joked as he laughed.

"What does it matter? I'm not hurting anyone." Jim spoke the truth. What was wrong with these people and not minding their business? First with Nadia's family and now with Jim?

"Yeah except maybe yourself. It's 100 degrees today. You can't keep this up." Dale pointed out.

"Sure I can. Watch me." He huffed as he picked up his shovel and once again began digging but this time more determined then the last.

"Jim, they're not gonna say it so I will." Lori was the first woman to speak, her arms crossed as she stared down at the newly growing hole. "You're scaring people."

That is what people are scared of? A man digging holes was the least weirdest thing she had seen in two months.

People should be scared of the dead. The people that died and suddenly came back thirsty for blood. The dead that wouldn't think twice before ripping a person or animal apart. Nadia didn't even know if they could even form a normal thought and a part of her felt that it was scarier that way.

It wasn't a thought to kill, it was an instinct.

Nadia had to fear those things and her father. That was real fear not of some man digging a damn hole.

The mere thought of people being scared of that caused the girl to snort. Some campers turned to look at her, confused at what was funny.

"You're scaring my son and Carols daughters." She continued and a part of Nadia wanted to laugh but her eyes snapped to her sister. Her little sister was scared and she was making a joke of it. She felt guilt rush to her stomach as she instantly felt bad.

"They got nothing to be scared of." Silence followed his words so he began again. "I mean, what the hell, people? I'm out here by myself. Why don't you all just go and leave me the hell alone."

"We think that you need to take a break, okay? Why don't you go and get yourself in the shade? Some food maybe." Shane advised as he stepped closer.
"I'll tell you what- maybe in a little bit I'll come out here... I'll help you myself. Jim, just tell me what it's about. Why don't you go ahead and give me that shovel?" Shane continued, clearly ticking him off even more.

"Or what?"

"There is no or what. I'm asking you. I'm coming to you and asking you, please. I don't want to have to take it from you."

"And if I don't, then what? Then you're gonna beat my face in like Ed Peletier, aren't you? Y'all seen his face, huh? What's left of it. See that's what happens when someone crosses you."

"Watch your mouth, okay? That's none of your business." Nadia finally spoke causing Jim's face to snap to hers, a chuckle leaving his mouth.

"He did a number on you, didn't he?" He spoke as his eyes locked on her bruised face. He shook his head before turning his head back to Shane.