3: The dress

I know it's Star Wars, not medieval times, but Padmé was known for her extravagant outfits, which Ranov'la would have to wear to fit the part. Padmé has worn corsets before, so I wrote that into this chapter.

Ranov'la slipped the heels onto her feet and wobbly stood up, balancing against the wall. Rex chuckled and steadily walked toward her.

"Having trouble with those?" Rex asked.

"What? No," Ranov'la denied and took her hands from the walls. "See? I'm still standing!"

Rex shoved her, sending her toppling to the floor.

"Hey!" Ranov'la shouted. 

Rex offered her a hand, and heaved her to her feet. She dusted off her skirts and glared at him.

"Why do you act like you've never worn heels before?" Rex questioned.

"Oh, I've worn them," Ranov'la told him. "I've just never walked in them."

"Then... what did you do in them?" Rex frowned.

"Just kinda sat in them," Ranov'la shrugged. "Anyway, my guests should be here any minute now."

"Okay, who are they? I could possibly tell you a little about them," Rex said.

"I don't know their names. They just approached me and asked if we could have a meeting to discuss the issue we apparently talked about last time," Ranov'la explained.

"That's very unhelpful!" Rex pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Padmé? We're here," a man said as he stepped into her quarters, a red haired woman walking behind him

"I know them," Rex whispered to her. "That's Bail Organa and Mon Mothma. They're some of Senator Amidala's closest allies."

"I'm screwed," Ranov'la muttered.

"Just stay calm and hurry the meeting up so they don't get suspicious," Rex advised.

"Padmè!" Mon exclaimed. "So good to see you again, especially after that bill failed to pass. I was worried about how you'd handle that!"

"Oh no," Ranov'la shook her head. "I'm fine, I assure you."

Bail tilted his head. "Yes... anyway, we came to discuss who would go to the lower levels. Is it necessary that your guard stay here?"

"It's very necessary," Ranov'la firmly said. 

"I believe you'd be the best for this mission," Mon told Ranov'la. "You did very well on the last one."

"Well I don't think so," Ranov'la said. 

"Why not?" Bail curiously asked. "You usually volunteer for these types of missions, because this is the fastest way to gather information."

"Looks like I'm going to the lower levels then," Ranov'la sighed.

"You know the drill," Mon patted her shoulder. "Grab the holodisk, and get out."

"The holodisk?" Ranov'la repeated.

"Yes. It has the proof that Senator Lepon has been pumping money into deathsticks in the nightclubs," Bail explained. "Then we can finally get him arrested. He's gotten in the way of so many movements that would've improved so many peoples lives, just because he could make a profit. With him gone, we can improve people's lives."

"It's in a safe, in the back of a bar run by someone known for selling deathsticks," Mon said with a weary sigh. "It might be difficult to get to. You know which bar it is though, we discussed it last time."

"I'll manage," Ranov'la blurted out, unsure if she'd even be able to find the bar, since she wasn't at the last meeting.

"Comm us when it's done," Bail said and exited the room. 

"Of course," Ranov'la said and watched them leave.

"Good luck with that," Rex told her.

"Can you please come with me?" Ranov'la begged. "I have no idea what I'm doing!"

"Sure," Rex smiled softly. "I'll help."

"Great!" Ranov'la cheered. "Now I need to change into something better for sneaking around the lower levels."

She went into her bedroom, and Rex could hear banging and shuffling. He patiently waited for her, and was surprised when the door opened and she was still in the dress.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I can't get out of this dress!" Ranov'la angrily said.

"Oh," Rex awkwardly said. "Want me to call someone or something?"

"Just help me out of it," she turned her back to him, motioning to the complicated lacing on the bodice.

"I am not undressing you!" Rex frantically said.

"Relax, I'm wearing an undersuit," Ranov'la rolled her eyes. "Just help me please?"

"Fine," Rex said and started to fiddle with the lacings, undoing the corset.

Ranovla let out a heavy breath as it stopped squeezing her lungs. Rex stepped back as she tugged the dress over her head, averting his eyes once she was only wearing the skin tight suit that was underneath.

"Thanks!" She beamed at him and went back to her room to change into something more discrete. She came out in pants and a shirt, handing him something similar.

"What's this for?" Rex asked, examine the clothes.

"You can't go to the lower levels in your armour," Ranov'la explained like it was obvious, "so you need something else, or people will grow suspicious."

Rex nodded and went to the refresher to change, returning in civies.

"How will we know which club it is?" He asked.

"We'll ask around which club is known for having deathsticks," Ranov'la shrugged. "Easy enough."

"Sure," Rex scoffed. "Plan's always go south though."

"Not my plans," Ranov'la said proudly. "I mean, look at me! I wouldn't be standing here if my plans failed."

"How so?" Rex curiously asked.

"None of your business," Ranov'la wrinkled her nose at him teasingly. "Now, tell me a bit about Padmé."

"Senator Amidala is known for helping citizens," Rex began. "She advocates for the rights that they need."

"I know that already," Ranov'la sighed. "Tell me the stuff I can't read on the holonet."

"Well, she likes drinking tea when she finally gets time to herself. She's always overworking herself," Rex listed. "And she remembers the little details about everyone."

"And you know this how?" Ranov'la raised an eyebrow.

"I know someone she cares about," Rex mumbled. 

"Oooh is she dating someone you know?" Ranov'la asked.

"No," Rex seriously answered.

Ranov'la gasped dramatically. "Are you dating her?"

"I am not dating the senator!" Rex hissed under his breath. "Don't say that!"

"Rex is dating Senator Amidala!" Ranov'la sang. "Rex is dating Senator Amidala!"

"Someone's going to hear you!" Rex angrily said. "And you do realize everyone here thinks you're Senator Amidala? So you're basically announcing that we're dating."

"Rex is single and will never love anyone!" Ranov'la shouted.

Rex covered her mouth with his hand. "Will you just shut your mouth?"

"Fine," Ranov'la grumbled when he removed his hand. "Now let's go before I continue singing about your love life."