fOuRTy*

fishtail by lana del rey

Anxiety crept between the two of us as we stared at the screen in front of us.

"Holy shit." The words slipped out as I take a deep breath through my nose. This was pure insanity.

"Is this?" Sarah puts a finger on the screen tracing all the numbers.

"It is." I nodded my head confirming what we were both thinking. The company had way too much money that wasn't accounted for. "Should we have someone look at this?"

"No." She takes the flash drive out of the computer handing it back over. "Pete would be the one who would have to look at it. He can't know about this yet."

It was the worst not being able to tell him anything, even in the beginning I had felt guilt. But I had promised I wouldn't tell anyone and we're too far in now to screw this up.

"Right. Um, so what are we going to do about the Walkers?" I swivel around in the chair as Sarah puts her hair into a messy bun. I do have to say, her office was way prettier than Eli's and more spacious. Old paintings hung on the walls stuck between bookshelves filled to the brim with every genre of books. A vintage rug blocked off most of the wood under our feet and yet it still felt like you could fit more in here.

"They told us to meet them, so let's do just that." She bites on her bottom lip as a pencil dances between her fingers. "Do we know they have Cher?"

"It makes the most sense." I glanced down at the notes spread out on the desk held down by paper weights. We still have a business to discuss and also something you want dearly. "I- I don't want to say it because she's my best friend but. What if she wasn't taken by them but joined them?"

"What do you mean?" Sarah furrows her eyebrows as her own eyes stared down the two letters.

"The letter I found from her is pretty hostile. I don't know how she would've found the Walkers but she does know people." I underline a few of the sentences in her paper with my finger as I grimace at the thought of her betrayal. "She never liked Ira but he is involved in all of this. Jeffrey, she was completely in love with. Do you think he would've slipped information?"

She says nothing but frowns. "We'd have to discreetly interrogate him without anyone knowing."

"Who's the interrogator?" I move the paperweights off and fold the letters back up as my eyes glance at the time clock. Pete would be awake soon.

"Alex does it but we also have a backup. His name is Richard and he's rather... harsh with his ways." It couldn't be Alex.

"Let's do Richard then. Just make it clear that he can't die." I tap my fingers on the table as the sunrise slowly peaks up through the window.

She sends a text over her phone and nods. As I stand up from my chair she holds up a finger and reaches under the desk pulling out a huge file.

"Here's all our information on the Walkers. I'm gonna have someone send them a time, date, and meeting spot. I'll text you the details." I stare down at the file and swallow deeply.

"When we meet them we have to be seen as weak. We need someone to act as a cover." I zip back up my jacket and throw the hood over hiding both my face and hair. "I think Henry would fit the best."

She agrees as she holds the front door open. The sun was now a tinted orange leading to the dangerous fact Pete was almost awake by now. The sky was clear today and already a beating warmth in the air despite the night having just gone to sleep. Sweat clung to me under the jacket and I couldn't wait to peel it off.